'Grace' type two-seat Spitfire in 1:32

Iain

Yup - very much like that!  :)

On her again today - hopefully final tweaks of re-cast canopy patterns this evening (fresh resin curing on the Aga at the moment).

Hopefully an update tomorrow  :)

Iain

Polishing the new canopy masters this am - and there are some pin holes I've had to fill - so now letting things dry again before another polish (filled with tiny amounts of enamel paint).

So - going to spend sometime on other areas of model now whilst that hardens off - but will post some pix later.

On 9/20/2018 at 8:19 AM, TorbenD said:

Just spent a very pleasant half hour reacquainting myself with the whole tread - top notch work here Iain.

I’m assuming priming the hood master with filler primer and a re-polish to rid you of that pesky seam is a no no? Does primer react with the hot plastic when vac-forming? Interested to learn.

Hi Torben,

I think it's differential expansion of the two parts of the pattern when the hot plastic is sucked over the top - hence making single piece copies.

On 9/20/2018 at 7:03 PM, GDW said:

Wow Lain, incredible work here! This is a particularly good WIP. 

wCvH00l.jpg

How do you position and draw such precise, straight lines on the form for the canopy?

Hi Greg,

Those aren't lines I've drawn - they're tell tale joint lines from where I've split the pattern, sanded the mating faces, and re-joined with thin superglue. Resulting seams then sanded back and this is what you get.  :)

Back later...

Iain

Arghhhh...

Latest vac pulls - have got rid of the joint tell-tales that were there when I vacced over the original patterns - but now getting blemishes in mouldings from dust.

As soon as I remove the protective film from the Vivac sheet it attracts dust from static - any thoughts/experiences on how to get over this?

Has anyone vacced this material leaving the protective plastic layer in place on the top side that's exposed to the heat source? Tigger - I think this is the way you do yours?

Iain

Iain, on the RC car bodies which are vac formed Lexan, they leave the protective plastic sheet in place. It helps protect the body from scracltches and overspray.

We're you able to source a replacement canopy as I have a spare if you need one.

Carl

Thanks Carl - Tigger has confirmed he vaccs his with one of the protective sheets on too!

Need to let masters harden off again for a few days before having another go.

Canopy - waiting to hear from UK Importers to see if they can supply.

On a related note - I can't find the bag of metal pins/magnets now! Argh!!  :frantic:

We'll get there in the end  :)

EDIT: bag of metal whotsits found! :D

Iain

Just had email from The Hobby Company, the UK Tamiya importers, they can do a complete replacement clear parts sprue at £7.50 - so canopy can be replaced in the Spit that donated to this project.  :)

Thanks for the offer though Carl - you can stand down now... :thumbsup:

Iain

First vacs from the new patterns - getting there - but not perfect yet...

48b427_b5f5b73f99024772bb9a8dd37158adf5~

48b427_d77f55916a284618930d5ae7a186d09d~

Tail feathers and control surfaces added:

48b427_300ec3c7a34e479e899c40cdceaa0083~

48b427_dd34bfd8afd749ff9abd0cdd2ec30ae3~

With radiator shrouds dry fitted underneath:

48b427_3e881711e9d14331beefdd66bd13445a~

And the coaming from the rear instrument panel to the rear of front 'pit added from Litho Plate:

48b427_7e938e6c44b44e37b201e8b6a311a5f9~

Finally - working on cowling panels:

48b427_ae8b3bb34bb4406d8472a565fe767210~

This evening I shall mostly be working on canopy patterns (again) and the engine bay.

Have fun!

Iain

Spent most of the weekend working on vac patterns/vacs - still not happy with results (very minor flaws) - but they *are* getting better.

Going through PETG sheet like it's going out of fashion - I just want to get this one done now...  :(

May be a case of calling it quits at some point and just using the best examples I have - not quite at that stage, yet...

Iain