De Havilland DH 82 'Tiger Moth' - Matchbox

kkarlsen

53 minutes ago, jumpjack said:

Wasn't the floatplane Tiger Moth known as the Queen Bee?

In a sense Yes, but also in a sense No!  The Queen Bee was a remote controlled pilotless Tiger Moth, in effect a drone, that was launched and controlled from warships and was then used as a target for gunnery practice.  It had floats and could presumably but "re-cycled" by being landed on the sea and used again if the gunners couldn't shoot!  

Edited by mozart

12 hours ago, mozart said:

In a sense Yes, but also in a sense No!  The Queen Bee was a remote controlled pilotless Tiger Moth, in effect a drone, that was launched and controlled from warships and was then used as a target for gunnery practice.  It had floats and could presumably but "re-cycled" by being landed on the sea and used again if the gunners couldn't shoot!  

With a plywood Moth Major fuselage, and not all had floats

It could be piloted from the front seat by an actual human being in additional to the remote control

https://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/aircraft/de-havilland-dh82b-queen-bee/

The remote controls will be familiar to UK telephone users of a certain age:

QueenBee-16.jpg

QueenBee-17.jpg

http://www.museumplanes.com/plane.php?plane_ID=361

I got interested in Queen Bees when building my Cirrus Moth and the RAF 1916 Aerial Target. They are by no means pure Tiger Moth

Richard

2 hours ago, VW Chris 1969 said:

This is a wonderful model, stunning work, I have one on the go at the moment myself and appreciate the work that you have put into this lovely kit.  Great work.

All the best

Chris

Hi Chris, good to see you amongst the 1/32 scalers! Make sure you put your Tiger Moth in the RFI here when it’s finished. 

35 minutes ago, mozart said:

Hi Chris, good to see you amongst the 1/32 scalers! Make sure you put your Tiger Moth in the RFI here when it’s finished. 

Hi Max

Thanks, finally joined, yes I will do.  Just putting finishing touches to it now so just a couple more evenings and hopefully finished. 

All the best

Chris

On 7/17/2020 at 11:11 AM, jumpjack said:

Excellent- thanks for the Queen Bee clarification. I wonder if any still fly in private hands.

Sorry fo the topic diversion.

Les

Hello Les,

I can definitely confirm one is still flying, LF858; my Uncle had a major share in this aircraft and I was privileged to see its first post restoration flight. I recall the pilot ( whose name unfortunately escapes me) felt happy enough to loop it in front of a rather concerned audience!! I understand it is still owned by a group known as 'the Beekeepers '!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo