F-100D Trumpeter.July 4th - 100% complete

crobinsonh

Ok. Having had NO response from Trumpeter at all (just as I expected) I have resurrected this build from the shelf of doom. I will work out what I am going to do with the windscreen later. I have focussed on weathering and adding some more details. The weathering is not just colour but also paint finish - matt for new touchups, slight sheen on older paintwork etc. Not sure how please I am or not so just pushing forward.

Here is the latest state - the windscreen I should add I took off in preparation for the replacement part - now I know I am not getting it I have glued in back on. 

03AMZM.jpg

ZCJ0IO.jpg

8l5CVB.jpg

T49eov.jpg

jzYaRu.jpg

I also had to sand the surface of the model down to get rid of the horrible pebbling texture that the Vallejo Matt left all over the more - what a chore!

More to come later this week.

Edited by crobinsonh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Slowly but surely over the last few weeks I have been working on the undersides and weapons. I made the cardinal mistake of using Alclad Gloss Kote which never stopped being tacky. Sprayed Vallejo Matt varnish and there has been a strange reaction between the two. Oh well - live an learn!

An overall shot of progress so far.

GsEqtF.jpg

More detailed shot of the mucky part of the undersides based on images that people on LSP kindly provided per my request.
rz0i7u.jpg

Now the various Eduard Brassin Zuni, Bombs and MER's as well as Master pitot and kit ladder. The Eduard resin parts are very detailed and there are many decals to add as well. I should have drilled and pinned the bombs to make them ver secure and also to ensure correct alignment.

7DQAJl.jpg

THdT9A.jpg

kKWEiV.jpg

The end is in site. Still nothing from Joanna @ Trumpeter. I think I may have a solution for this being creative :-)

Great work! The finish really looks nice to me, and the underside weathering is just right for my taste. I think that MM pitot tube will really add to it.  

I take it you still have yet to unmask (or paint) the 20 Mike-Mikes?

I might have an idea for the glass . You could do what I did in 72 scale for my wrecked diorama a few years ago . I took a Japanese canopy and removed the glass using a Dremel and scalpel . I then cut transparent plastic and inserted the cut pieces in the holes . They were much easier to break and pierce .... 

You could use it on your bird without breaking them ?

Hey Colin,

Awesome job on the build. One question though.  What year is the F-100 supposed to be from?  That Arkansas Razorback logo didn't come around until 2001 is why I'm asking.

Matt 

On 5/10/2019 at 1:24 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Great work! The finish really looks nice to me, and the underside weathering is just right for my taste. I think that MM pitot tube will really add to it.  

I take it you still have yet to unmask (or paint) the 20 Mike-Mikes?

Hi Brian,

I have yet to re-paint them and then weather the area around the muzzles. I was thinking of doing the black panels you sometimes see around the muzzle area but I could not find a shot for this unit so I am leaving as is.

18 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Hey Colin,

Awesome job on the build. One question though.  What year is the F-100 supposed to be from?  That Arkansas Razorback logo didn't come around until 2001 is why I'm asking.

Matt 

Hi Matt, thanks for your comments. There are a number of shots online that show the Razorback logo on the nose if you google around.

12 hours ago, crobinsonh said:

Hi Matt, thanks for your comments. There are a number of shots online that show the Razorback logo on the nose if you google around.

Did find one, it does look like the earlier Razorback.  The one from the 60s/70s was a bit more plump, and didn't have the black outline.

Definitely a fantastic build though, don't let my pedantic comments distract from that. I doubt anyone but a hardcore Razorback would even know they've had different logos.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/606/Arkansas_Razorbacks

Matt 

8 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Did find one, it does look like the earlier Razorback.  The one from the 60s/70s was a bit more plump, and didn't have the black outline.

Definitely a fantastic build though, don't let my pedantic comments distract from that. I doubt anyone but a hardcore Razorback would even know they've had different logos.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/606/Arkansas_Razorbacks

Matt 

Hi Matt - Thanks for your comments. I see what you mean from the link. I saw the markings in the Squadron book and that is what started me on this journey in the first place. Just loved the Razorback.