Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1D Corsair on Pre-order on Evil bay at $29.99....

Daniel Leduc

I hate to sound like a negative Nancy here, and I wish the best of luck for you guys, but my spidey sense is tingling. Look at his items sold, the only plastic kits he sells is the 1/32 F4U-4. Nothing else. Where is he getting them from, and how is he getting so many, when large hobby resellers are only getting a few at a time? How is a small time guy in China getting so many kits, and why would he take a loss on so many. I would guess that wholesale price is going to be at least $85. There is no way Tamiya is going to discount such a hot release. This really does not make sense guys. I hope you get what you ordered, but I would not take the bet even on $35. Does this seller and his price really make any sense?

I'm certain it is a scam and I'm staying away from it. I'd love to be proven otherwise.

He has zero feedback as a seller in his native country (China). Which I find as odd, as well most of his sales are less than $10.00.

Edited by ScoobyDoo

I would guess that wholesale price is going to be at least $85. There is no way Tamiya is going to discount such a hot release. This really does not make sense guys. I hope you get what you ordered, but I would not take the bet even on $35. Does this seller and his price really make any sense?

Assuming he isn't getting the kits direct from whoever is molding them from an employee via the side door! We don't know what he is paying for them. I agree it will be interesting. I had the same thing happen on a Takom V2 package; basically got nothing. But eBay/Paypal credited my account back within a few days and killed his eBay account. This guy seems to have a good rating, however.

Guest The Southern Bandit

Scored one on Ebay last night too, £106 + £6 postage, very happy with that price, was going to leave it until about Christmas time, but this one started as an auction from this popular Ebay UK retailer, put in a max bid of about £115 and got it for £106 ... very pleased :)

Quick question, does this F4U-1D have exact same canopy and framing as the F4U-1A? if so I can go ahead and order an Eduard canopy frame mask for this kit too ... a real time saver.

Assuming he isn't getting the kits direct from whoever is molding them from an employee via the side door! We don't know what he is paying for them. I agree it will be interesting. I had the same thing happen on a Takom V2 package; basically got nothing. But eBay/Paypal credited my account back within a few days and killed his eBay account. This guy seems to have a good rating, however.

I have been an ebay seller since 1997 and with paypal for almost that long. I have seen a lot of scams over the years. One that is becoming common now are sellers that build a reputation shell over a period of time, maybe six months, along with a bunch of fake users that leave each other positive feedback, when they get to a number, they start selling and taking people's money. They then drain the Paypal account and ebay kills the identity, paypal refunds your money, and ebay ends up paying for it all. 

There is nothing about this deal that seems even remotely legit.  

I have been an ebay seller since 1997 and with paypal for almost that long. I have seen a lot of scams over the years. One that is becoming common now are sellers that build a reputation shell over a period of time, maybe six months, along with a bunch of fake users that leave each other positive feedback, when they get to a number, they start selling and taking people's money. They then drain the Paypal account and ebay kills the identity, paypal refunds your money, and ebay ends up paying for it all. 

There is nothing about this deal that seems even remotely legit.

Yes, I haven't seen that scam for years now though. But it usually is from Asia and this one has all the signs of being that type of scam, he built his 108 seller feedback with low cost items. He then sold a pre-order that would incur a large payment with a delay in the delivery date.

Scooby, was your kit shipped in a box out of curiosity? Like a cardboard shipping box? Mine arrived yesterday as well (I also pre-ordered from Tokyo Hobby) and it was only packed in bubble-wrap and an outer string-reinforced paper package. One corner was crushed and some of the sprues were damaged. I have never ordered from them before so I don't know if that is their SOP or a one-off.

Thanks,

Michael

Edited by Michael