2018 IPMS Phoenix Convention

phantom

Guest Clunkmeister
On 8/4/2018 at 7:02 AM, The Dude said:

Lol no prob, I am hoping nobody will post the pix of all of us lounging by the pool after the heavy drinking at the bar.:ph34r:;):lol:

There were plenty of memorable hangovers this week.

And the memories!

Oh wow! 

All I can say is that if you weren’t there, you wouldn’t understand.

I’m already making plans for next year. 

And San Marcos, Tx in 2020!  

I looked Brian in the eyes and guaranteed a big Cat on the table for that show.  And best of all, Ernie Gee has committed to doing the landing gear if I supply the originals as patterns.

A plan is slowly coming together......

And for those driving, as in Brian and Harv for sure plus as many more as possible, my place is right along the way.

So, maybe we plan for a pit stop and hospitality day at our place before we all head on south. 

Maybe we can convince a few Martin, Maru, and John to fly into Dallas... hehehe

Edited by Clunkmeister

The best part of the 2018 Nats was hanging with the LSP folks at Pima (and esp the bus ride back and forth), and around the show and of course at the Meet and Greet.   The show itself was less than impressive, but getting to meet Tim and Ernie and Brian and Mike and John Smith (PLEASE let us know how your place in Redding Ca fared in the fires), really just everyone, and seeing Maru again, was worth the trip.  You all are terrific people.

I judged, not in the LSP categories but for some of the other scales, and I think the work shown in 1/32 was amazing.  1/32 is really growing.  Maybe next year we will see more of the Revell Mustangs and other new entrants and we'll continue to expand.

Hope everyone gets back safely. 

What are you all planning for Chattanooga?  Right now I'm looking at a Tamiya P-51D as Duchess Arlene in honor of the Tuskegee Airman (I hear the Chattanooga chapter is expecting a bunch of the folks from Tuskegee to come and may have a special judging category!) and MAYBE a Revell Lou IV in Blue/Green (better than the first one I did).   IF I get my tail in gear maybe the HK 335.

Back to building!

Chris

Guest Clunkmeister

I think a Revell Mustang in Red Tails colors would be extremely fitting for next year. 

But it the beautiful Kitty Hawk and Special Hobbies P-39 builds really inspired me. 

As as did that Anigrand Sea Skimmer

Oh, and sorry to wake you up this morning, Brian. :)  :rofl:

But you sure didn’t miss much at breakfast. It’s still laying like a lump in my gut. Yuck. 

Edited by Clunkmeister

NP Ern, I was whiped out, likely from the sun and late night at the contest room.

Twas an excellent time this time around. Some great friends, great time in modeling and some great food......

Other than almost dying at dinner Friday night, and William J having to save my life. (On the REALLEST level). Scary thing to not be able to breath, and a tad embarrassing to have to have someone perform the heimlich on you right there in a public crowded restaurant, but I owe William my life, even as utterly humble as he was about it all. 

Guest Clunkmeister

Yup, between your almost dying (truly scary how quickly and quietly that can happen), to our own radiation poisoning lookalike victim to Martin and Radu designing a 32 scale kit payed out on the pavement in the middle of a crosswalk at 10 pm, it was truly memorable!!!

Guest Clunkmeister
11 hours ago, Radub said:

Just got home, after three planes between four airports and about 16 hours in the air plus waiting. Worth it! ☺️ 

Radu

Meeting you in person make the trip worth it, sir.  A true Gentleman you are.  

I’m already planning a build for next year using the P-51D-5.

I’ll probably find a suitable RAF example and model it. Be different and all that. 

The riveter got a workout this evening and works like a dream. Many thanks for that.

The memory of you and Martin plotting kitbashing ideas in the middle of a crosswalk at 2200 hrs with drawings and bits spread all over the ground is a memory I’ll cherish forever. We were all like 40 and 50year old kids. Truly some of the best days of my life that.

Truly an amazing experience meeting so many of our LSP members in Phoenix. That indeed was the highlight of the trip! Memories that will last a lifetime. Getting to know Maru confirmed what I always suspected, a very special individual with a remarkable personality, generosity, and an incredible sense of humour!

While I certainly enjoyed the competition tables, more 1/32nd scale aircraft entered at one time than I've ever seen before, and the vendor's room where I left a good chunk of change, it was the people that made the show! Oh man, the memories...................

Many thanks to Harv and Bev, William and Donna, Brian, Michael, Big Tim, Ernie, Martin, John, Radu, Richard from WnWs, Maru (you've earned a special place in my heart), and so many more. Hopefully we'll all find ourselves together again at another event in the future!

Cheers,

Wolf