3D Printing

SCRATCH BUILDER

23 hours ago, airscale said:

Hi 3D folks

Looking for some guidance if I may

I have just designed the spinner for my 1/18 P51 in Rhino. I kept it to just the simple shape as last time when I did the Spitfire XIV all the rivets & stuff I put in didn't really come out..

the real one is natural metal and I have been dreading trying to skin it in litho..

WIP655_zpsxfyxsqs1.jpg

WIP654_zps5nl5llm2.jpg

now when I went to Shapeways to get the parts printed, I see you can choose Aluminium or steel rather than plastic ($87 or $37 just for the nosecone eek), if I choose Steel as it's cheaper, I then get a sub-option for the finish, in which there is 'Nickel' where it says it is polished to a smooth finish..

My question is has anyone had any 3D printing done in metal, and could it actually be the answer to my prayers where I get a metal spinner I can then scribe & detail without having to skin it?

Not sure how the process works at all - is this actual metal, or is it metal like 3D material?

Hope someone knows :)

TIA

Peter

Hi Peter, I've had some of this done before it's a bit tricky and the results are not that great, We had some done for the Drone prop blades cage for 'Isle of Dogs', the result was a bit gritty and they kept trying to push us in the direction of the resin loaded with metal powder for better results which was even worse.

I used to make stuff for model railways and always CNC stuff out and white metal cast the results are stunning if a bit long winded.

Graham

3 hours ago, GrahamF said:

Hi Peter, I've had some of this done before it's a bit tricky and the results are not that great, We had some done for the Drone prop blades cage for 'Isle of Dogs', the result was a bit gritty and they kept trying to push us in the direction of the resin loaded with metal powder for better results which was even worse.

I used to make stuff for model railways and always CNC stuff out and white metal cast the results are stunning if a bit long winded.

Graham

Gah - just read this post after ordering @ 140 euros..:doh:

thanks for your input guys - I went with aluminium (could have had platinum at $9,400...)

I redid the design 4 times as I found out more about the spinner and found one buried drawing of the correct cut-out shape which I don't feel so bad about as even David Glen made the mistake I did originally by shaping them to the wrong profile on his 1/5 P51 (don't know if he even knows that tho) so will get the backplate & cone in ali and the hub in plastic

WIP657_zpsri7etbji.jpg

I am hoping I can polish out any coarseness, if not I will have to put it down to experience and see what they say - mind you, they won't deliver it until early April as it's ali so some time to wait..

Thanks again

Peter

• 1 year later...
On 2/8/2019 at 2:45 AM, jumpjack said:

For a 'frrebee' I would definitely recomend fusion- apart from anything else, there are basic tutorials for kids online to get you started double quick and it handles modelling type small scales with ease (unlike some others). I made my first complex hollowed out 3D model from scratch in under a fortnight.

Another plus for fusion is that it can  model direct from DWG imported from other programmes- in my case I use CorelDraw for most of my 2D and ship into Fusion 360 for modelling.

I would suggest looking up reviews. I'd also recommend it for how user-friendly it is to set up and troubleshoot, as you said you don't know a lot about printing. It is probably the best choice to use cura for slicing and it will take a couple of attempts to get the settings right. However there are plenty of sites and videos to help with that!

I've been using Fusion for injection moulding tools this year and I find it very good, but as for drawing up I've stuck with rhino as I don't really have the time or need to use it for drawing. One bug bear I find is that it relies on the internet so living in a third world country like the UK that can cause problems. The rendering function seems superior though.

Graham