3D Printing

SCRATCH BUILDER

3 minutes ago, SCRATCH BUILDER said:

Tim,

this is a good you tube to level the build plate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEaNVfT8y9w

I use 91% alcohol, most say 99%, but i find 91% works just fine. And you can get it at Walmart for a few bucks.

Thats the price range, depending on what your printing it will last awhile, and that's cheap, I have ordered so Phrozen ABS like resin which was   $34.00, you will find the Anycubic resin brittle if not handled the right way, and when you can get one of those UV nail curing units, there about 20 bucks, when you get ready to replace your FEP i can give you link for replacement, the OEM is to expensive

Thanks!! I will watch that for sure. I ordered some Anycubic grey resin from Amazon just now to try it out. Thanks for the tips, keep em coming.

Just remember, shake you resin and keep it warm, between 70-80 degrees print best.

One good tip i have: My USB went weird after about 4 weeks and i have heard that in forum discussions, I just used a USB that i had handy, it works fine.

When you find yourself getting frustrated we can always do a phone session   :help:

Lots of good info in this thread. Like Tim this is my first foray into this, only I probably wont be able to afford a printer this year w/getting married, but as soon as I do  I'm going to lean on you guys and this thread. 

I completely think this is the way of the future for our hobby.

Not a problem guys, any time.

Out2,  I have a LULZBOT MINI sitting around collecting dust, If you want to start learning 3D print with a FDM print maybe some kind of trade or something( kits for a printer ) or i could sell it for $100.00 + shipping, check the printer out online first.

Buy this, The 3D Club   you get 4 sheets but you can cut them in half to have 8 for the anycubic, get the .2mm.  The OEM is way to expensive, 1 sheet is almost $30.00,
As far as changing i am a stickler, you should be able to get about 2 liters out of 1 sheet of film, but since i get mine from the 3D Club i change every liter.

Sorry forgot to say, you get 1 sheet installed in the tray and a extra 1 when you buy the Anycubic.

Edited by SCRATCH BUILDER

Well, so far, I've only used two colors of Anycubic brand resin with My Anycubic Photon printer, and haven't noticed any appreciable shrinkage. I suspect that since it's cured by UV light, and not by releasing any moisture or offgassing any solvents, it may not shrink at all. Or very little. Just my observations so far, but I'm a newbie at it.

I've been out sick yesterday and today, so I've been doing some experimenting with printing very thin things to see what happens (between nose blowing and coughing fits!!). Here is my first attempt at a cowling for my 1/16 Camel kit, printed with Anycubic Gray resin. I actually modeled it at full size in Fusion 360 and then scaled it down, but I forgot to change the units and it came out WAY too small. However, it was a nice example of how thin it will print. I modeled it at 1/8" thick, and it printed about .3mm thick (yes, I said .3), and it's been sitting on the window sill all day for final curing (it's cloudy today, so it's slow, and I don't have a UV curing lamp yet). So far, there has been no noticable shrinkage, and I would think you would see it in a part that thin if it were going to happen. It's very light gray, because its so thin, light shows through it. 

20190130-145205.jpg

And with the supports removed (I won't attempt to sand them smooth until it's fully cured):

20190130-150352.jpg

My second attempt failed because it was too thin to support it's own weight at 1/16, and I didn't add enough supports to account for that. The "auto-support" feature in Photon works pretty well, but I had to remove some to get it to fit in the print area, and didn't replace them. Live and learn!

For my third attempt, I thickened the wall in the model to about 1/4", and then corrected the scaling down to 1/16 scale. Notice how much darker gray it is because of the thickness.

20190131-131317.jpg

It's about 1mm thick now:

20190131-132222.jpg

Again, not fully cured yet, so the nubbins have not been fully removed yet. My UV curing lamp LEDs will be her tomorrow.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with the resolution this printer will pull off, and the gray is a lot less stinky than the green it came with.

Tim