3D Printing

SCRATCH BUILDER

12 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Alex, how long did that take to print?

The cylinders took a bit more than 2 hours. The cool thing about this kind of printer (called  DLP printer) is, that at every step, alwas one complete layer is created by the UV display at the same time, no matter how big the part is. That means that it doesn't matter if you print just one cylinder, or in my case 20 at once. In both cases, it would take about 2 hours with my settings. Including the small support struts, the cylinders are about 1,6 cm high.

According to the printig software, the main center part of the engine takes 3:45 hours with a layer hight of 0,04 mm. In reality, it might take a little bit longer, but not much. That part is a bit less than  3,5 cm high. So in just a few hours, one complete engine can be printed.

Cheers

Alex

Very cool! They look great, and the fact that it doesn't make a difference what quantity you are printing for some things, makes it nice for things with multiple parts like engines. 

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

Thanks for the info and I'm sorry, what modeling software was used?

Would be interested in that myself..........

1 hour ago, AlexM said:

Normal exposure time (s): 16

Off time (s): 0

Bottom exposre time (s) 90

Bottom layers: 8

Thanks Alex, looks like just longer exposure time for that resin, you know it does not matter what you set the off time to it will always be 6.5 sec, set it to 6.5 sec this will give a more realistic print time. Now i just have to fine the resin, Amazon has the White but not the Grey

28 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Thanks for the info and I'm sorry, what modeling software was used?

Personally i use Blender, I have come to like it a lot, if i am doing something small i will go to F360

Turbo cad should be ok as long as you give your part thickness,

Here's a pic from Blender of my servo's, there in 1/16 scale

servo_zpsrjj4uhar.png

Printed...

100_0438_zpszleslkoo.jpg

100_0439_zpsf5ufkloj.jpg

And i print all the bolts and rivets i want, i could do about 600-700 at a time, and these took about 45 mins

100_0436_zpsn8ex1lc6.jpg

I'll get a better camera soon, But one thing to think about,  resin is stinky so have good ventilation, i made a box for mine and vent it out the ceiling to the outside in my work space

Well, it happened faster than I expected. I was watching the Anycubic Photon in my Amazon wish list, at 430 USD, and it suddenly went on a "lightning deal" for 373 bucks, so I pulled the trigger. Considering I had 40 bucks credit with Amazon from Christmas, I wound up about 360 after tax. Guess I better get that 3D software learned now!!

Edited by BiggTim

Will do, my friend, thank you! I also joined a couple of user groups on FB, and have been reading through this and other threads to gain what I can. It will probably sit for a while after it comes, as I still have to get some gray resin, alcohol, etc., and modify my paint booth so it will fit in it to evacuate the fumes. I've worked with a lot of two-part resin, and have most of the basic safety equipment, but I need the few odds and ends this type requires. Plus I need to get handy enough with the Fusion 360 to make something worth printing.

Tim

What has been your best source of 405nm gray resin? I see there are quite few out there from Anycubic, Phrozen, Elegoo, etc. It seems to cost between 25 and 30 USD per 500ml bottle. Is there a better deal out there that I'm missing?

Tim

Tim,

this is a good you tube to level the build plate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEaNVfT8y9w

I use 91% alcohol, most say 99%, but i find 91% works just fine. And you can get it at Walmart for a few bucks.

Thats the price range, depending on what your printing it will last awhile, and that's cheap, I have ordered so Phrozen ABS like resin which was   $34.00, you will find the Anycubic resin brittle if not handled the right way, and when you can get one of those UV nail curing units, there about 20 bucks, when you get ready to replace your FEP i can give you link for replacement, the OEM is to expensive

Edited by SCRATCH BUILDER