Scratchbuilt 1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Jim Barry

It's a very interesting journey that's for sure, Brian. The 3D work  REALLY opens doors that were kind of closed in the past.  Now that I have more sense of what I'm into here, to really push it (and suffer!)  could result in some very interesting things. I had earlier (before 3D)  considered something like 1/24 B-25 to be a dream I'd spend 4  years doing in my retirement years, now I think It might be next and take just a year. 

Thanks guys. 

Working on adding knobs and switchs and surface details to the cockpit. Update when more is done.

Excited to see my wheels and tires come back today from Shapeways. I'm very pleased. 

TaddXT.jpg

Is this the future of modelling? Perhaps better to think of it as a future of modelling. A new way (of many valid approaches to enjoying the hobby).  It's looking to me like it will be my future where for some unknown reason I'm cursed/compelled to make  planes and scales  they do not make kits of.  This helps with this problem. :)

Those shapeway wheels look pretty good.  I have to be honest, I'm a little tired of trying to get rid of the mold seam on tires and end up with ugliness.  I kinda cheap when it comes to AM...  I might start buying more wheels, though.

Gaz

Excellent job, Jim! Really sorry for your loss, though - I'm glad you have a new pup in your life. There is nothing like a Golden... we have two Golden Girls at home. 

Meet Sunny (12) and Emmi (4 years old and veteran scale model inspector):

bunt-27axvsdl.jpg

img_2289_abcsp4.jpg

Keep up the good work!

Ben, Nice dogs, there. We are thinking of going with 2 in a year or so. Love the inspector! 

Step by little step and the details add up. Nothing mind blowing, but getting into some finer details like toggle switches. For effect, I added some images into the gauges, but of course it has no effect on printing. Just curious what it'll look like.  Keen eyes will notice its the same instrument. 

XxAAD5.png