Scratchbuilt 1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Jim Barry

Hi Mark. I'll skin it with aluminum hardware tape (same as what I did with the Fury's metal panels). Sad to then paint it but that's the deal with this bird. 

Thanks, Maru.

Got some more filling and sanding done on the fuselage  with a small  lesson learned. The foam sands away too easily! I'll have to fill where I over did it. Live and learn (and use blocks). Also sent some previous work off to Shapeways. The tire/wheel  is a rework of the first one I did print perhaps too hastily.  

lDIcPO.jpg

htU8zI.jpg

1Ah8Rv.jpg

Thanks, Ben. They are pretty aren't they.  Do you have a good ref pic? I have this I worked from:

4cna8x.png

It's a mild rim/lip from what I can see here. I built some indent as such to model the effect. Not very visible from the other image, but it's there. 

K9Izfu.png

Well as the story goes, the basic dimensions are set in the fuselage and so it looks like it's time to now get cracking on the cockpit. Here, I have the floor and the the rear bulkhead in there. I expect to build the seat, controls and panels and so forth, then surround it in sheet styrene or litho  with interior wall details. 

QaGAN7.jpg

Looking good Jim! I also note, with interest, your use of plastic trays to hold random workbench tools. Novel idea! I guess this sits comfortably in between placing everything back in its assigned place every single time you use it and having to spend an hour looking for it underneath a pile of other tools strewn across the bench....! :)

Have you given any thought to printing the sidewalls (as in structure) of the cockpit? With what I am seeing here, I feel it would not be much of a stretch on your talents......

Keep up the great work mate. 

Craig

I sadly don't have any reference pics on hand, but I can tell you there is always a raised rim as the tyre would not stay on the wheel rim without it. I think I'd use a Corasir wheel as reference as the shape of the wheel rim seems to be extremely similar!

I agree a little more  rim will be both realistic and purposeful for painting so though I've sent the old ones to the printer, I'm going to try again here. 

CSc9Wo.png

In regards to proportions I agree I'm off a bit. However, when I select all 631 parts of the tire to scale it up, my machine locks up, so it's kind of stuck like this. It's not that bad really (or I'm just in denial).

5bUqef.png

Craig. I do like my trays. They are just used take out salad bowls. I have one for big tools and one for little tools. One for things that sand. I still make a mess in the heat of battle but clean up is pretty easy. I have thought about doing a 3D print cockpit but think I want to try by hand first. Though I'm enchanted by 3D and all, I'm still trying to keep it from "taking over". Time with my hands is time well spent. 

Guy, Thanks

Cees. Ha! 

Edited by Jim Barry

More work today on the cowling. This is the master form made of Magic Sculpt that I'll soon vacuform a styrene shell over. It's quite a bit of sanding since it's like a stone , but it's also good at preventing an over-sanding situation, so you just make a little time, put on the respirator and goggles and get to work. 

lYTBc2.jpg

I really like this phase of building though there is a cloud of doubt that I'll  skin the cockpit walls with everything thought out in the right order. For instance whatever I cover the walls with has to be painted and host wall detail before I set it in place.  I'm thinking I'll create a " master surface"  out of a chunk of magic sculpt here soon and vacuform a shell "cap"  that I can then detail and paint the inside and then finally set in position after.  The Fury's cockpit walls suffered poor interior detail because my build order kind of locked me out. I hope to avoid that here this time. We'll see. 

9zmfJx.jpg