Scratchbuilt 1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Jim Barry

The forum has really lit up with more scratch builders and it's really inspiring my own work. My workshop is moving to the basement for the winter and so until I'm done with some renovation, I'm not building much, however I have had time at the computer and pushing my 3D design skills. This is the rudder (most of it anyway) which I'll print here soon. I started with just one former, the base rib. From there I copied one to the top and then scaled it down. Then I created a loft from one plane to the other which make a smooth rudder. I then inserted blocks where the ribs aren't and then by intersecting the parts with a "Cut" the ribs you see here remain.  It may take some experimenting to see how I'll cover it to get the desired ribby surface. It think I may use masking tape and then paint with Mr Surfacer. If this works then I'll have some proof of concept for the other fabric covered control surfaces of the Bearcat. 

1gYNNA.png

Its going to be fun to see how that prints for you.  Don't forget to add the trailing edge and the trim tab cut out to your 3D model, though maybe you have plans for those after printing.  :thumbsup:

Here is the structure and covering plan for the F8F rudder.. hope it helps:

F-8%2BRudder.jpg

Edited by Bil

Tom, Thanks!

Bill, yes. I just got on the Air Corp Library and can now dig deep at the underlying structure of things. Yep, I have those features to add here soon. But thanks for the reminder. Should print pretty well from my experience so far with Shapeways. I had originally tried to stay cheap with my scratch builds  but have decided that actually compromises the quality and as it turns out, I'm pretty into hobby so if money needs to be spent, money needs to be spent.  

( PS.  Oh, the rudder has a  complex rounded leading edge.  I need to model that too, I think).    

Edited by Jim Barry

Ok, So more progress on the rudder. It was a stumper to figure out the geometry solution of the top form. I tried to make all kinds of shapes (t-spline bodies) that could be manipulated into this position. Not a lot of luck but then at work today I realized (light bulb moment) I could make a sphere and then smish it *scale it on the x axis) and then cut the parts away I did not need. I'm getting better at how to solve the problems. It's all much like physical scratch in my mind since the "how do I do it?" question is constant. I like it! Should make a fine part to add to the growing collection. 

OKFpg6.png

4SYvlW.png

More  control surfaces continues. The weekend was about the ailerons. I just love the mirror function. The first aileron takes hours but the second one takes just seconds. And next they'll show up in the mail. I have this bad habit of spending (wasting time) creating a 3D file with all the parts in their respective place. This is simple amusement and might spurn some thinking, but mostly it's a waste of time. I've got to cut it out! Elevators next. Have a great day everyone. 

ClWtOe.png

Edited by Jim Barry

Thanks Bil and Maru. 

Bil, your dedicated Stearman work gave me a nudge to push a little harder on the skeletal side. One can ignore it and build mostly surface effects as I did with my Fury, but I do not think the tricks to get the spar effect like embossed plastic card will work with this era. Feels like I need to build it like Grumman did. Let's see how it goes. 

Here's a work in progress shot doing the CAD work. I've made the basic shape of the elevator with a loft between two teardrop profiles. Then I made a bunch of boxes to serve as cutting tools. By intersecting the boxes with the elevator loft and then removing the boxes and the intersection, I'm left with just the good part. From there I cut out the trim tab. Working in 3D is like having a laser beam cutter of infinite configuration. That said, I still love the good old Exacto knife. This is a muted pleasure. Note the tip of the elevators are not modelled in 3D. I think it'll be easier to just do these manually with some Magic Sculpt and sand to spec. 

M8REM0.png

7RdEFk.png