Scratchbuilt 1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Jim Barry

12 hours ago, JayW said:

Way back when, when i built a few Guillows balsa models (including a Hawker Hurricane) I use some kind of tissue or fabric.  But I just don't remember.  

Hi Jay, my Dad used to build those when I was a kid. I thot they had big sheets of thin translucent paper in each kit.   :shrug:

LG doors tonight. They have a shape to conform to the wing that had to be bent into place. I thought metal would be good for this but ended doing them in Sheet styrene for some reason. I guess it’s just my mode now. Nothing fancy here. We are driving hard to the finish line! 

xfIDh1.jpg

11 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hi Jay, my Dad used to build those when I was a kid. I thot they had big sheets of thin translucent paper in each kit.   :shrug:

Yep.  Nothing but tissue paper - the same stuff you find in gift boxes and such.  Places like Hobby Lobby has it by the truckload.  Cut it to shape, glue it the frame with diluted white glue, spritz it with a little water once the glue is dry to shrink it up a bit, and - voilà - a durable, convincing and airworthy part waiting to be painted.  You can even patch it just like the real thing if you need to.

11 hours ago, Jim Barry said:

I thought metal would be good for this but ended doing them in Sheet styrene for some reason. I guess it’s just my mode now.

Jim - I can relate!  I have a feeling you are going to turn this raw looking thing into a masterpiece.  I look on with great interest, partly because I am considering doing same with a P-51 (an entire scratch-build).    

Thanks for the compliment. It's a fortunate thing that the Bearcat is actually simple and smooth etc. Once you get over the engine, prop, wheels and Cockpit in 3D is not that difficult to pull off as a scratch built (at the amateur level).  It's funny about the Bearcat, because it's really, for me, a learning project. The Bearcat is down pretty far in the favorite planes list. This way, I do not beat myself up too much about errors and such. I've done some really stupid things! I do have plans  of continually pressing on more and more difficult project so that my 6th scratch (or so) is nipping at pro. The S2F should be a notch higher in difficulty. I think I have a baremetal B-25 after that in me. A Corsair would be a candidate for plane 6. Oh, those gull wings! (shudder). 

What scale for the Mustang? 1/18?  

BTW the tape I'm using for control surfaces is not packing tape, it's clear Gorilla tape. Way better than packing tape and has this sort of rubbery thing about it that is really nice for the purpose. It took primer really well. Tcm10l.jpg

Edited by Jim Barry

16 minutes ago, Jim Barry said:

What scale for the Mustang? 1/18?  

1/18.  Tempted to go 1/16, as I have an excellent set of Charlie Neely "blueprints" of various P-51D profiles all done in 1/16.  It could aid in the scratch-build (Not sure why I say that - I have access to just about any P-51 drawing I want).  But if I did that, it would not be presentable in the midst of my other 1/18 projects (P-38, P-47, F4U).  On the other hand, when you get down to the detail that I would like to have, bigger is better.  So, not sure I guess.

Had a nice evening with my model building buds in my hobby hut (formally known as the JagerHutte). Greg does 1/72 AC. Geoff does Armor. We've been building together for decades now. Geoff and I go back to the 70s! The Bearcat took a backseat while I worked on a group build I do with Greg (1/72 WW2 seaplanes/floatplanes). 

g7V85c.jpg

I7Pe3a.jpg

0Q30Lm.jpgMdKJdR.jpg

WEAjsX.jpg

I have a sweet spot WRT blood alcohol level somewhere near but greater than zero, where my modeling work is its best.  Several beers - nope.  I'd better walk away!   :rolleyes:

What a cool idea to get together with others and have a modeling night.

Edited by JayW