Scratchbuilt 1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Jim Barry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Where does the time go? I can’t believe Im still on the exhaust/intake vents! I guess it might be little side projects like a 1/72 scratch Arado 231 or mocking up how BIG a 1/24 F-102 would be on my shelves! 

SQxHxX.jpg

6bU4nZ.jpg

Edited by Jim Barry

That's the sense these planes give me. The Century Fighters era must have been a great era to be a wide-eyed kid. New planes every year, practically. x planes galore. Mach 3 bombers. My childhood in the 70s gave us the f-15,16,18 and the A-10 which was pretty good. It's been a long time since something has inspired a generation. I don't know what kids think of the F-22 or the F-35. Stealth (I imagine) is frankly not that exciting to them. 

Edited by Jim Barry

• 1 month later...
Gunsight in place, engine in place (motor power is not going to work, gave up trying :( ), built armored headrest parts, cowling flaps on and made the decal patterns for printing. Mojo high!   

IAF7am.jpg

2dznI8.jpg

opgH21.jpg

AFz7b9.jpg

RIwsOK.png
Edited by Jim Barry

I never really had a solution how to edge the fuselage against the canopy…until today. Now I can work putty against the outside edge of the brass and get on with it. Today I made the punchlist to wrap this up. It’s about 33 hours to go. 

Fk87Qs.jpg

I've been on the fence about armament and thought maybe I'd make bombs and rockets but Tim Biggers (Model-Monkey.com) makes some sweet 1/24 product and they win the argument. Just ordered these:

Time to save some time! Thanks Tim! 

Rockets are HVAR 5" (aka "Holy Moses") 

2AFDAD.jpg

UILKqQ.jpg