otis252

NA FJ-4 Fury

Hey Paul, you've done some great kits of 50-60's Navy jets as we all know, so what do you think about doing a North American FJ-4 Fury? It's a beautiful jet and has never been kitted in 32nd scale. It had many colorful markings while in use by the Navy and Marine Corp, not to mention it was just a cool looking jet! Whata you think?

Chuck

Now you're hitting me right where I live! I would love to do the Fury, and have  been gathering data for many years.What has held me back is my experiences doing Navy jets that did not see combat.They don't sell in numbers high enough to be profitable so I throttled back on my plans to do them all.

It could be that there are enough of us Navair guys to make it work, but I don't know.It's hard to build a business case that ends up in the black for 

most fifties jets, other than the Panther, which has done very well for me.I am currently looking into some changes to how I do business that might make it doable, but it will be  a while before I can see where things are going.

Besides the fact that I love the work, this is not a great way to make for a comfortable retirement, so I gotta think things through. If I didn't need to make a living at it you can rest assured there would be some really cool kits coming out of this workshop.

....What has held me back is my experiences doing Navy jets that did not see combat.They don't sell in numbers high enough to be profitable so I throttled back on my plans to do them all.

Just being nosy, so feel free not to respond, but how many copies of a full model constitute a profitable number?  I would guess 100+?

Now you're hitting me right where I live! I would love to do the Fury, and have  been gathering data for many years.What has held me back is my experiences doing Navy jets that did not see combat.They don't sell in numbers high enough to be profitable so I throttled back on my plans to do them all.

It could be that there are enough of us Navair guys to make it work, but I don't know.It's hard to build a business case that ends up in the black for 

most fifties jets, other than the Panther, which has done very well for me.I am currently looking into some changes to how I do business that might make it doable, but it will be  a while before I can see where things are going.

Besides the fact that I love the work, this is not a great way to make for a comfortable retirement, so I gotta think things through. If I didn't need to make a living at it you can rest assured there would be some really cool kits coming out of this workshop.

Indeed, profitability is the problem. Of course nobody live only to make the others happy, and everybody have to make money to live.

What about kick-starter or something? Or a subscription? I mean, the project would require a minimum of subscribers (paying a percentage of the final price so it's more than just "yes i'll buy one !") before it can start. And if after 2 or 3 months there is still not enough people, the project is cancelled and the subscribers are refunded.

Does this business model exist in model kit manufacturing?

Hi folks, 

As Tommy has indicated, there is virtually nothing in common between an F-86 and the FJ-4 Fury.Even the FJ-3 is a vastly different animal, although the similarities are there.

I have a long standing urge to do the FJ-4B, but only time will tell!