ungoliat

Photobucket Fix

Unfortunately, old build threads are gone for good, with the linked pics replaced by the dreaded PB ransom note ... They were visible with the Firefox of Chrome fix, but that is all ...

Hubert

Yes,that is the point of my post. MY old threads are still intact with photos on photobucket because I did not delete my photos. If everyone did the same, old build threads would still have visible photos.

I added the fix for firefox and I haven't moved my photos off photobucket so they show up when I go to the article.  This is a great fix   Thanks for posting it.

I also added the Chrome fix andit works. I'm going to add the ad on to all my computers. I hope there aren't any hidden problems by using it.

Bruce

Edited by Bruce

Photobucket will eventually find a way around the 'fix', and when they finally go bust, then they are all lost forever.

There is an add-on for Chrome which allows you to download albums from Photobucket. If you remember, they removed that facility.

Download your photos and where you can, reinstate them via another hosting site.

I guess PB must be hurting. I got an email from them a while ago, telling me of the great new plans they had. I checked it out and it is now reasonable to get into.

http://photobucket.com/plans/

However, I've been playing at having a web page on and off for 20 years or so, and have one running on PowWeb. I did an image test a while ago, a Mig 17 in Egyptian markings which appeared as it should. One of these days I'll go and transfer all my photos to the web site and updated the threads that need to be done. The nice thing is hat you can also run sub pages, on different topics. I figure on posting some reviews I did for IPMS Toronto and some other stuff I'm writing. Here's the link to my old page.

WWW.985engineering.com

PowWeb is having a sale right now, here's the link.

https://www.powweb.com/powweb/hosting.bml

Edited by Sabre F-86

Looks like PB has shot themselves in the foot,... again. I've noticed on multiple sites that PB has blurred a ton of the images that still have the "proudly hosted by" nonsense, rendering the images totally unusable. What a bunch of clods. I will never, ever user their service again, no matter what.

You know, external backup drives are pretty cheap. You shouldn't be putting your only copies of stuff in one place EVER.

This has been mentioned in discussions of PB. Imgur, Flickr, etc., are all fine alternatives but even so you have no true control over your files anywhere on line.

For the last week you could change the first letter (usually an i) at the beginning of the link to a "w" but they seem to have fixed that "bug" this week.
Some old build threads may be forever lost..

So.... which image hosting service is actually worth the money and why? Which ones let us easily post here and have the images show with good resolution? Which ones don't break the bank and are easy to use? Anyone have good information for a true Luddite who dumped Photobucket, but hasn't gone anywhere else?

Tnarg

Depends on what you are looking to do. I use SmugMug and pay 60-something.....but I also get a domain I can link and I can customize the url as well unlimited everything and a website front. Not all need or want that, but SmugMug has worked flawlessly so far.

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I use Imageshack and love it.  I think I'm paying like $20 (or maybe $40?) a year.  Minimal, considering I've had ZERO issues with it at all.  Their interface is SUPER easy to use.

Me too; $20 per month and never any problems.

Last year I subscribed to imageshack for $20 (premium account for one year). 

Anyone who who is using imageshack I would recommend you check your subscription :blink:

I was curious about my renewal so I checked this evening. Premium account is now ...wait for it ....only $100 per month or  the low low price of $953 per year!!!!

If your imageshack account is set to auto renew, you might be in for an expensive surprise :ninja: :fight:

Basic accounts now cost nearly $40 per year. I don’t know when the prices changed but I really liked the idea of $20 per year and enjoyed using the product. Now I’ll probably be looking elsewhere....$953....seriously?! 

Imgur is free, I tend to stick with that for most stuff, or use my own server if necessary.

After Photocraps 2 or more major hijack and subsequent price inflations, as well as other so called "free" hosting sites deciding to go the same route, I have little (read absolutely ZERO) faith that any or all free hosting sites will do the same and start charging eventually, and I am NOT going to go through moving and or recovering all my hosted pics away from some site that decided to hijack them for a price increase after I got established there again.

For what I get for my 60 or 70 something a year at SmugMug, Ive been supremely happy with it. The site interface they use is gorgeous, super handy,  and innumerably  more flexible and useful, with unlimited everything, including the ability to make the SM site your own web site, I dont think Ive been happier with any purchase non-directly related to modeling.