Revell Bf 109G-10 Erla - *Finished*

b737flyer

Managed to get the fuselage closed up and things are moving along again. The cockpit sill/edge needs some work as Revell has engineered it so the fuselage sides and cockpit sides have a bit of a gap that needs to be filled and sanded smooth. The battery cover area behind the cockpit needs some work as well to get the bulkead to sit flush. If installed per the kit instructions a step is created all around the bulkhead; I think this is a leftover from their G6 kit with the non-Erla canopy. The upper cowling is also just placed for the photograph and will need some tweaking and filling as well. Overall I've been pleased with the way things have gone together so far.

GAOkf3i.jpg

The wheel wells and radiator scoop area have also been airbrushed with decanted Tamiya AS-12 Bare Metal Silver thinned with Mr.Color Levelling Thinner. My research indicates these late 109-G10's likely had natural metal gear wheels as well as the under surfaces of the wings. If anyone has additional info or insight it would be appreciated.

PoajFXB.jpg

My research indicates these late 109-G10's likely had natural metal gear wheels as well as the under surfaces of the wings. If anyone has additional info or insight it would be appreciated.

Hey Jeremy, the G-10 was called the 'b*****d' 109 because they were conversions

from pre existing G-6s and G-14s to bring them up to the standards of the K.

So it's unlikely that any of the various parts would be unpainted, but being built in

the 'desperate' period of the war, anything is possible. I see you're using Roy's decals

so I wouldn't argue with his sources.  Something to consider would be your choice of

wheels. Some G-10s had the larger wheels with the long tailwheel, some had the smaller

wheels with the standard tailwheel, some had a mix of the 2. The size of the wheels would

determine the size of the 'bumps' on top of the wing.

Have fun :)

Edited by mmaben

Hey Jeremy, the G-10 was called the 'b*****d' 109 because they were conversions

from pre existing G-6s and G-14s to bring them up to the standards of the K.

So it's unlikely that any of the various parts would be unpainted, but being built in

the 'desperate' period of the war, anything is possible. I see you're using Roy's decals

so I wouldn't argue with his sources.  Something to consider would be your choice of

wheels. Some G-10s had the larger wheels with the long tailwheel, some had the smaller

wheels with the standard tailwheel, some had a mix of the 2. The size of the wheels would

determine the size of the 'bumps' on top of the wing.

Have fun :)

Thanks for the info mmaben. I agree with your comments about painted vs. unpainted components during the late stages of the war - it seems anything is possible due to desperate times. I might do a little of both on the gear wells and under surfaces to make things a little more interesting. As far as wheels go, the kit comes with the wide wing bulges so I'm using the wide G10 wheels from BarracudaCast as well as the tall tail wheel.

Edited by b737flyer

I'd like to amend my previous statement. Not all G-10s were conversions

from previous aircraft. Most G-10s started out either as G-14s or parts

destined to become G-14s. This is likely the reason some had some

unpainted surfaces. G-10s came 'after' the G-14.

All this information comes from Prien/Rodeike and Japo books.

Sounds like you're on the right track Jeremy.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last update but things are still moving along. The wings have been installed and fit pretty well both at the upper wing root and below. I've also secured the upper cowling which will need some work to eliminate a seam line that doesn't fall on a panel line. I also painted the BarracudaCast exhausts and mounted them and in the photos below you can see the BarracudaCast spinner, oil cooler fairing, and cooling scoops. I've also settled on a paint scheme - Black 13 from the excellent BarracudaCal decal set. Still lots of work to do!

XZAPkYg.jpg

CWf3nla.jpg

B6EJpl2.jpg

Note that the area where the drop tank is mounted is not part of the wing, and should not be left unpainted (green camo here!). The Decal sheet got that wrong imho.

Thanks - I noticed the same from a different resource and was planning on painting the area in question.