Profimodeller He111 H-22 (V1 launcher) conversion

nmayhew

hi,

I saw this reviewed on LSM but not here (or anywhere else) at this stage

i have looked at the instructions and see that it does not as far as i can see include the parts to convert the ventral gondola

http://www.profimodeller.com/detail/p32316-he-111-h-22-conversion-super-big-set/

H-22 111s had the last version of ventral gondola , which was introduced from the H-16 I believe

It is materially different to the gondola seen on H-6 onwards, so you can't use the current Revell kit

please correct me if i'm wrong, but seems pretty slack by Profimodeller

it's also disappointing this was not picked up in the review, but then again 90% of reviews i see are just a peek in the box and not much else

hey ho

Nick (whose reviewing days are a distant speck in the rear view mirror)

hi mate,

I take your point but i'm not the one who was sent the freebie...

i would have thought that if they did do the gondola, they should sell that and the turret for options to make an non V-1 later version, just to have more ways to get your money back

as an aside, i was rummaging through my stash and came across a print out of my old He111 review from SP&R, and also correspondence i had with the guy from Alley Cat

at the time he was exploring the possibility with him of creating a set of correct nose cones and a gondola correction / upgrade for the early type found on Ps and up to H-5 with the forward facing gun station

sadly nothing came of it so it remains nearly impossible to make a correct BoB 111 (at least one that is verified by photos and crash reports containing armament config), and also means that the majority of early war years 111s cannot be made accurately

shame, but i guess the 111 'froth' died down quite a while ago

hope all is well

Nick

Hi Nick,

I contacted Profimodeller after they released the He-111 V1 "montage" set, to see if they had any plans to release a H-22 conversion, needless to say it was a positive reply, maybe if you ask them about the gondolas - which would be applicable to other versions - it might spur them into producing one or more?

I recently got rid of my H-6 kit, just going to do a H-3 from the P with the CMK conversion, reality bites and I'm only going to do one He-111...

I'm not bad, hope you're better!

Andy

just going to do a H-3 from the P with the CMK conversion, 

Andy

Hey Andy

Yes all good thank you

don't post a whole lot anywhere really now, and have only completed 2 kits in the past thousand years it seems!

anyway, just to confirm, the H-3 had the front gunner position in the ventral gondola...in the P kit this part is solid, and in the H kit it is the new shape

i blame Revell really - they just made the wrong version with their P

nuh huh

look at the gondola

trust me I did a lot of research on this for the review, as well as spending hours trying to find an aircraft that i could *accurately* model, and there were only a handful of early Hs that i found possible

here's your bird, or at least the one Brett thinks he's made (he also got the demarcation line aft of the Balkenkreuz wrong...)

ventral gondola clearly upgraded with glazing and a MG

sorry

:(

Heinkel-He-111H3-KG53-(A1+DA)-France-194

Edited by nmayhew

What's a bigger issue for me is that it's also possible that the H-22 had a different wind screen, and a different instruments panel, as seen for example in RAF Hendon's H-20. This configuration was introduced with the H-16, and several V-1 carrying Heinkels were in fact H-16s.

Chukw built a nice 111 in 1/48 scale some years ago, which features the correct configuration: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/71040-my-heinkel-111/

Hasegawa got this right in their 1/72 H-16 kit.

This is an interesting thread!

I have both P and H kits sitting in the stash ... It would be nice if we had a tweak list for both.

I remember, vaguely, someone mentioning that the nose on both kits was off somehow ... but not why.

It would be nice to have a complete list to hand of what accuracy issues applied to each kit.

Rog :)

Same here Rog! I bought the P and H kit hoping to do a BoB He-111 with parts from both kits and a CASA C.2111 with what was left over. Seems it's all not as simple as first thought! I think (without checking my references) that it was a H-3 I want to model.

Looks as though the 111 is more of a "variant" minefield than I first imagined.  :hmmm:

Thank Nick for enlightening us.

Best regards;

Steve

I think the gondola on the early H's were similar to that in the P-1 kit, but with a glazed front, the kit provides this in clear plastic, but unfortunately it opaque, but might be able to polish it until it's crystal clear...

Thanks Nick!

I think it's either a H-2 or H-3 I'm looking at building, so it's good to know that the P gondola maybe usuable. It will be no trouble to have a bash at polishing up the glazing, so it's well worth a shot.

Best regards;

Steve

It will be no trouble to have a bash at polishing up the glazing, so it's well worth a shot.

nothing is impossible, but no-one's done it yet, and it depends on what results you are satisfied with

i had a half ar$ed attempt a few years back and gave up because i knew i could never get it to injection mould standard