Oh wingnutters....

seiran01

Obviously, he failed to notice that there were already 1/32 kits from Fokker D.VII, Pfalz D.III, Albatroses, Sopwith Triplane, Airco DH.2, SE5a, you name it.

Pfalz D.IIIa, not the Pfalz D.III. Plus the Triplane was issued in 2010, after WNW started work on it, similarly the 2009 DH.2 (which is a dog of a kit anyway) and the 2007 SE.5a. The Albies are D.V's and D.Va's - the Roden kits where earlier marks, the D.I & D.III. 

The Fokker D.VII was Battleaxe's lamentable 2001 kit, well worth replacing.

Any more?

Any more?

Well, no need to tell you that I'm not convinced at all by your... argument?

But then I see no reason to push this farther, as anyway, my mind is set as well as yours.

Beside, I think we're OT.

I'm off and I'll try to avoid WNW topics in the future.

:)

Well, no need to tell you that I'm not convinced at all by your... argument?

But then I see no reason to push this farther, as anyway, my mind is set as well as yours.

Beside, I think we're OT.

I'm off and I'll try to avoid WNW topics in the future.

:)

I was just trying to explain that WNW have said they are, at least initially, trying to avoid kitting existing kits - the majority of the overlap they have with Roden was because the Roden kits came out whilst WNW were developing their versions.

I would love some French subjects. A Breguet XIV would be good, as would any of the SPADS & Nieuports,  albeit Roden's are not too bad.

A Caudron G3, G4 or G6 would have loads of character. The SPAD S.A looks absolutely crazy, and you'd have to be crazy to fly in the front. As mentioned, the Hanriot is a beautiful little aircraft, the Farman's would be great pre-war subjects & the Voisin III is a great little pusher model.

I'm sure they'll come along at some point. But Peter Jackson has a thing for German & British aeroplanes, especially two seaters, and as it's his money, he tends to get exactly what he wants. At some point, he may get a little bored with yet another PC10 Brit fighter, or lozenged German two-seater, and I hope he turns his attention to France at that point and begins to fill the gap. As you said, I'm sure American sales would be strong. 

But Peter Jackson has a thing for German & British aeroplanes, especially two seaters, and as it's his money, he tends to get exactly what he wants.

This topic came up in a conversation I had with Richard Alexander a couple of years ago, and this notion was confirmed. Subject matter and direction is largely set by what PJ wants to see and build himself. He's footing the bill after all.

Kev

For what it may be worth, the last (highest) numbered kit of the single aircraft releases: 32066, Felixstowe F.2a (late), leaves sixteen kits unaccounted for so far, and quite frankly, they could be anything. I have no reason to doubt that the kit numbers will also eventually exceed 66, but there's no real way of confirming that at this time, as WNW does such an incredible job of remaining quiet about such things. 

Guest Clunkmeister

A SPAD would be nice. The Roden kit is nice, but a tough build.

As far as the Camel goes, it's simple to make a World Class Camel out of the good HC plastic.

So having two of the good HC kits, I probably won't ever buy the WnW Camel.

Edited by Clunkmeister

As far as the Camel goes, it's simple to make a World Class Camel out of the good HC plastic.

Having said that, if a WNW Camel were to appear on your doorstep, I'm sure you could eventually be persuaded to give it a crack?

Well, one already kitted topic that deserves a better treatment is the Nieuport 17! The kit is cheap and quite easy to assemble but you really get for what you pay! I had to modify, replace, correct or detail All kit parts!!! The worst being the symmetrical fuselage without slope behind the engine. This is a lengthy pain...

Another point is the scarcity of the SPAD XIII.

Hobbycraft kits were never distributed widely and since the death of the company model kit activities, such kits are more and more difficult to get, notwithstanding for a reasonable price. I am quite happy I got ONE but the decals are useless (many cracks). And you may add to this the total lack of choice of aftermarket decals. There are two limited options to build an American SPAD but for French or Brit ones, this is nearly void. Besides a decal set from a small French producer (FFSMC) there is nothing as the old Americal-Gryphon decals are now impossible to get... Last, the only dedicated aftermarket resin set for that kit (a cockpit) was released by an obscure Australian company and disappeared as well!

So, yes there are options to build French fighters but they are relying on old kits, some of them being OOP and this is worsened by a lack of aftermarket items... :-(

There is no doubt there is a market for a new SPAD XIII and a new Nieuport 17 if we do not even mention the heavier planes.

Thierry

I've avoided the Roden SPAD VII, specifically because I assume WNW will eventually do one. And while I have tackled the Special Hobby Nieuport 11, and have an Academy Nieuport 17, I'm not particularly impressed with either. I have no experience at all with the Amodel Nieuports, and seldom see them built.

While the Roden Nieuport 24 seems to be OK (I had one, briefly), I'd still much, much prefer a WNW example.