Aviattic Ansaldo A.1 Finished!

ericg

I am loving this build. 

I built the old Smer 1/50 Ansaldo SVA 5 as a kid and I also liked the lines of the Ansaldos. It's been hard to resist this kit and this is not making it easier. Also I have a tilt for the obscure that really gives the Ansaldo an edge over other subjects.  :)

I think I may go for the Polish Boxing though. Also the Mexican option is really cool too but silver dope seems boring on a plane like the Ansaldo. 

Anyway can't wait to see more as your build progresses. 

Zach

Hi,

Great to see my kit build good work so far!

Not to be an ******* but I have worked 3 years on this kit to make it possible to every one to build it made all the parts designed the etching cast all kits and Send them to Richard.

Quote from Aviattic site

Master patterns and photo-etch has been designed, drawn and created by master modeller Ron Kootje and artist Auke Elsinga. Trust me - you will never see a more complete kit..

Many thousands of hours have been spent by a team of nineteen individuals and state-of-the-art companies on it's development.

Our “Balilla†is based on actual factory drawings and extensive study of references, including records of the two surviving examples in Italy with photo references supplied by Alberto Caserati and Szymon Grzywocz, with technical assistance and beautiful artwork from Juanita Franzi and reference material from Paulo Miana and Colin Owers.

All parts have been meticulously hand crafted or printed and refined using the latest cutting edge 3D print technology, with assistance from our friend Costas at Gaspatch Models.

Rowan Broadbent (Pheon Decals) has designed the extensive markings options for many gorgeous

* 140+ resin parts (including “US†or “Polish†jacketed Vickers guns), strut positioning jigs etc.,

* 200+ photo-etch brass parts

* Acetate for windscreen and copper wire

* Specially commissioned "RB Productions†paper and nickel etched seatbelt sets

* "Pheon Decals" extensive markings decals

* “Aviattic†tailored linen, woodgrain, instrument faces and "St. George" artwork decals

* Specially commissioned “HGW†fuselage nail head decals

* Rolled A3 profiles and colour reference poster (specially commissioned artwork by Juanita Franzi)

* Fully illustrated reference manual designed by Bo Monroe telling history of the aircraft, Pheon markings profiles and reference photos

So what I mean to say if you are going to name names to give credit to, make sure you include every one that has worked hard on this to make it posible. Again no offence intended just hard to read that Richard has set a new standard, hope you understand and I think all the guys/girls involved like their name mention two if you are mentioning them

Regards Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your thoughts and also thanks for the great job that you did in the part that you played in producing the kit.

Next time I do a build log I will ensure that I thank everyone from the factory cleaner right through to the CEO of the model company before getting started building it.

I am sorry that you feel that it is 'hard to read' that Richard has set a new standard, but as the owner of the company, ie; the 'Captain of the ship' he is the one that has brought it all together and worn all of the responsibility of the project and as such deserves the recognition for raising the bar in the industry.

Just my thoughts on your comments.

Eric.

It's a nice kit, but is it really "defining a new standard"?

Dean, I believe it is. Modellers measure other kits up by how they compare to other manufacturers kits on a regular basis with comments like 'not quite a Wingnut Wings kit' or 'imagine how much better it would have been if Tamiya made it' etc etc..... . For its type, being mostly resin mixed media of which I have built many, it is without a doubt the best on all fronts. Not just the resin parts, but everything else included and the way in which everything has been packaged and presented to the modeller.

Eric.

Guest Clunkmeister

You really need to see it in person to get the full appreciation, but I'd agree yes, it's several steps above every other kit I've ever laid eyes on.

Agreed Mike. I have this kit, the Italian boxing, and I can say without the slightest hesitation that it is by far the nicest resin kit I have ever seen. Period.

And I've built and own more than my fair share of Fisher kits, which are amazing as well.

I'm not positive I'll go "All the Way" on mine by doing all the hidden components, but I'll certainly build his kit to the best of my ability, and judging from what I see and he quality of the instructions, I will easily turn out a winner. As will you, Mike.

Hats off to all who designed, engineered, assembled, marketed, packaged, and shipped these amazing kits. They have set a new standard in model kit production.

Guest Clunkmeister

And I agree with Eric on a big point. If I designed my dream C-46 kit, designing, developing, fitting, and even cutting metal for molds, yet gave it to KH or HK to produce and market, it would be "their" kit, not mine.

Simple.

i think it's a fair shout - I know what it's like to strive for perfection in bringing products to market, and I am sure if I came as close as this sounds like I would want folks to know I had a hand in it

I think it's less about someone else getting credit, but more about in-built pride in your work maybe :)

To have a superb kit in someone like eric's hands is the ultimate state of achievement, you just KNOW it will be superb and beyond comparison

looking forward to the next update :popcorn:

Peter

It is Richards kit, surely?

I'd imagine that he is the one taking all the risk - or most of it - financially.

Sure, the kit design was subcontracted, but the subcontractors were doing a job for somebody else, presumably for payment. Richard then carried the risk that he'll be left with unsold kits & hence financial losses.

I can understand the designer maybe putting his hand up with pride, but in this case I think it's been done poorly. Too aggressive.

Last point - do owners of this kit consider it superior to the best injected plastic kits, i.e. Wingnut Wings & Tamiya?

It is Richards kit, surely?

I'd imagine that he is the one taking all the risk - or most of it - financially.

Sure, the kit design was subcontracted, but the subcontractors were doing a job for somebody else, presumably for payment. Richard then carried the risk that he'll be left with unsold kits & hence financial losses.

I can understand the designer maybe putting his hand up with pride, but in this case I think it's been done poorly. Too aggressive.

Last point - do owners of this kit consider it superior to the best injected plastic kits, i.e. Wingnut Wings & Tamiya?

Dean in reply to your post,

The kit contains a large reference booklet containing drawings, photos profiles etc. It also has a list of all those responsible for being part of the project. I went looking for this after reading Rons post as I thought that maybe Richard had inadvertently left him out of it or something. Rons name was the very first on the list, and Richards was the very last. I reckon I would be happy enough with that if I was the person who mastered the parts and would certainly not go seeking anymore on a public forum.

As far as superior to the best injection moulded kits, well there are a few factors that need to be taken into consideration. The retail price of the Ballila is a lot more expensive than a similarly sized wing nut kit which will limit the amount of modellers who will buy it. The skill level required to build it is a step up from both of the mentioned manufactures simply because it is a resin kit. Having said that, it is the best of the resin kits I have had the pleasure of working on, due to Rons skill in mastering the parts which translates to fairly easy construction although it does have some fairly daunting construction sequences. As far as what's in the box, Wingnut Wings really raised the bar when they burst onto the scene with their full colour instructions, great decals and box art. This kit is several steps above those kits because it comes with everything and the way that each of the elements of the kit are presented actually made it a shame to start pulling it apart! One of the nice features that I haven't mentioned is the full colour poster with 3 view profiles on it. These are in 1/32 scale.

So yes, as an owner of the kit, it is superior to the best injected plastic kits.

Eric.

The kit contains a large reference booklet containing drawings, photos profiles etc. It also has a list of all those responsible for being part of the project. I went looking for this after reading Rons post as I thought that maybe Richard had inadvertently left him out of it or something. Rons name was the very first on the list, and Richards was the very last. I reckon I would be happy enough with that if I was the person who mastered the parts and would certainly not go seeking anymore on a public forum.

As far as superior to the best injection moulded kits, well there are a few factors that need to be taken into consideration. The retail price of the Ballila is a lot more expensive than a similarly sized wing nut kit which will limit the amount of modellers who will buy it. The skill level required to build it is a step up from both of the mentioned manufactures simply because it is a resin kit. Having said that, it is the best of the resin kits I have had the pleasure of working on, due to Rons skill in mastering the parts which translates to fairly easy construction although it does have some fairly daunting construction sequences. As far as what's in the box, Wingnut Wings really raised the bar when they burst onto the scene with their full colour instructions, great decals and box art. This kit is several steps above those kits because it comes with everything and the way that each of the elements of the kit are presented actually made it a shame to start pulling it apart! One of the nice features that I haven't mentioned is the full colour poster with 3 view profiles on it. These are in 1/32 scale.

So yes, as an owner of the kit, it is superior to the best injected plastic kits.

Eric.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

You are an excellent modeller, so if you think it's the best kit you've ever encountered, I respect that.

I thought the same of HpH's Walrus. Looked superb,detail everywhere,tons of PE,a part for everything, superbly sharp moulding, comprehensive instructions, references included. But as a build, it was an absolute pain in the arse. Over engineered - why use one piece, when 12 gives a better result? I have still not gone back to the shelf of doom, after 2-3 years.

I fear this is colouring my view of the Aviattic kit. But I'm fascinated to see how you progress during the build. If you enjoy the build, I'll have to seriously consider investing in one

Richard is a great guy, gave me the opportunity to trial his cdl decals on my Felix build snd as Eric said took a big financial risk projucing this kit.

I financially sponsored the Resicast Holt tractor kit, getting a nod on the kit instructions was more than I expected making me very happy.

Now back to business great build so far Eric!!

Eric.

Guys I just pointed out that if names are mentioned it would be nice to give credit to all not just one name "Richard" he indeed put hour names on it never said he did not hence why the quote from his site!

And on the part he taking all the risk financially is not the case I have invested allot of money also in this project I cast 50 kits and then when he sells them We get paid so yes I think I have the right to point out to some one that more names are involved in making this possible then one!

All in al I did not mean to start a discussion just wanted to point it out  and I am more then happy on how Richard handles this. Have fun building the Kit and it is easier to build then it looks.

Ron