AIMS 1/32 Bf 110 F and G

Pastor John

The G2 was intended as a ground attack and aerial interceptor, attacking typically the USAAF bomber streams during daylight operations.  As such it didn't carry radar arrays nor did it have your favoured "hog nose", rather the smooth E type nose......stated with the usual caveat! :)

Max

Thanks Max!

Thats kind of the lines I was thinking along, but since I wasn't sure of the exact diffs, and none of the profiles are labeled yet, I really wasn't sure which conv. I should purchase when the time comes. 

You can see G-2s with both nose types. Verised nose can have 4 gun openings even. None of my options have that. Lots of G-2s with revised nose and gun pod had the weapons in the upper nose removed

Good to know! So it could almost be case of seeing "mix and match" air-frames.  Im definitely after a night fighter with the hog nose canon and large dipole Fug radar. 

As far as my decal options go this pod is for both the G-2 options, ZG 1 and Stab ZG 76. The only possible G-4 decal option to have it would have been Lent's so it will be included as standard in both kits. If you have my decal sheet Monotone Me's 32D001 the G-4 option has the FuG 202 and the gun pod and no RLM 75 mottle - just another option for you to consider

Pastor John-

May have been covered already, if it was I missed it. What's your plan for the rear canopy? vac-form, as per usual, or something different? I am not the best with vac-form, and even worse when it comes to making it "blend" with injection molded parts. Is there any chance for resin, or even injection molded rear canopy parts?

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

No Dennis sorry it will be vac form - the cost of the kit and amount of parts required plus the thinness of the excellent kit clear parts prohibit the expensive of resin or injection. The vac will work perfectly - started the tool 1 hour ago. It will be very easy to cut for anybody

Thanks Max!

Thats kind of the lines I was thinking along, but since I wasn't sure of the exact diffs, and none of the profiles are labeled yet, I really wasn't sure which conv. I should purchase when the time comes. 

You can see G-2s with both nose types. Verised nose can have 4 gun openings even. None of my options have that. Lots of G-2s with revised nose and gun pod had the weapons in the upper nose removed

Brian ... as Ps.John says ... You get photos of all sorts ... The only way to really tell what you'll need for each A/C is to start with the basic airframe (F or G) and research the rego!

With all the various factory/field mods, it really was a dogs breakfast!

John ... standard fit out from the factory would have included all armaments if my references are right ... once the A/C got handed over to the pilot however, all bets are off! 

I reckon you'll find plenty of photos of the same A/C with various bits either missing or modified ...

Heinz Bärs Fw.190A-7 is a good example of a field mod'ed A/C ... he had outboard wing armaments removed because he preferred the performance gains, rather than the additional firepower.

Since he was from the "School of Marseilles" he didn't need much of that to get the job done anyway! ... Still you'll find photos of his A/C ... Both Red 13 and Red 23 (his spare) with the outboard armament installed!

Gun pods also seen on early G-4s with the FuG 202, not so many on late G-4s - my guess would be the introduction of the upward firing cannon and the tactics thus involved made extra forward fire power obsolete

... and again ... here you'll find A/C with both ... and also A/C with all the nose armament removed completely, the openings blanked off and just the SM array - for additional speed and manoeuvrability.

multiple radar types installed etc ... again it can be all very confusing ...

Here's a link that helps me sort out all the various bits and pieces available:

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_bf_110G.html

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69