For you Wingnut wings fanatics

TonyT

• 1 year later...

Good pickup Tony! :lol:

The holes do NOT add strength, though, they are simply to reduce weight. A solid panel would always be stronger however all that strength is not required to transfer stresses between tension zone and compression zone (basically shear stresses). So they cut out much of the center of the panels leaving enough material behind to do the job. Basically they are creating a truss-like structure without all the labor. Typically the lightening holes are round because stress has a tough time moving around square corners. The stress lines compress going around those corners and can reach high levels quickly. An interesting demonstration is to take a rectangle of clear plastic and cut holes of different shapes in it then place it on a projector and bend it. The stress lines show up in a rainbow of colors in a prism effect. It is quite fascinating.

OK, that is your engineering lesson of the day!  

6 hours ago, TonyT said:

Surely it's to remove weight, how on earth do you add lightness??   :whistle:

"Simplify, then add lightness"

Colin Chapman CBE, Founder of Lotus Cars

It's added by drawing holes on the blue print. It's added by cutting or punching said holes. It's added because it's a design thought.

Okay, I'll get my hat and walking stick

Tony

The Lighter looks very nice, but lacks some components and parts. It looks as though it is based exactly on the one in the FAA Museum which has the same parts missing. I also understand that it will be a waterline model only now. Is that correct?

Steve

Yes there are a number of details including winches that are planned via 3d printing or something along those lines. 

Plan right now is for waterline as well as a rear section for folks who just want to pose a camel on deck without the full barge. I’ll update when I eventually hear more :)

I liked the Lotus reference, mainly as Lotus stands for “Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious”!

This is from the guy whose Mercedes automatic gearbox went “clunk” last night and won’t budge out of low gear!  Just been talking to the chaps at Mercedes Swindon and it’s going to cost a lot, as in an arm and a leg, probably kidneys and various other biological bits too!

Edited by Bruce_Crosby
Additions

1 hour ago, Bruce_Crosby said:

I liked the Lotus reference, mainly as Lotus stands for “Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious”!

My Elise, at 261,000 miles (420,000km) and 19 years old would disagree - as would my Esprit - which has never let me down! 

Chapman was an absolutely brilliant engineer - and the quotation makes huge sense when designing racing and sports cars  :)

Iain