Jennings Heilig

HK Models Spey Phantom Update

The fantasy price was based on the IFA thread which mentioned the HKM kit as costing nearly double the IFA £195 asking price. 

I'm expecting to pay about £250 for the HKM edition.

Tony 

2 minutes ago, Robertjon5 said:

well as they say, 'time will tell'. be interesting to compare the 2.

I don't think the IFA will hold up to the HKM. 

I'd rather Alan made a missing subject which no one else will make, like the Fairey AEW Gannet or D H FAW.2 Sea Vixen.

Tony 

Well I'm not sure this is the best approach. The full fuselage needs to be replaced and the upper wings shortened. Same for the belly part that need to be deepened. The only untouched areas would be some small parts: nose, canopy, main LG, stabs, cockpit tub and IP but not the seats (not that great) and blunt cockpit sides, etc. Alas, this is not a lot of things to use in a 120 pounds donor kit! 

Hi Thierry,

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree...

I've been looking at this for years - yes - there's a big section of fuselage that needs replacing - but by no means all of it.

If there wasn't the HK Models kit on the horizon I'd happily cut up a Tamiya F-4J.

Far less work than I can see in a full resin kit - but I'm sure others' mileage will vary!  :)

Iain

13 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I'd be surprised if it cost upwards of £150.

exactly

over £200 for a HKM Phantom is - to put it mildly - a stretch, unless they suddenly morph the kit up to Tamiya standards etc

53 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

exactly

over £200 for a HKM Phantom is - to put it mildly - a stretch, unless they suddenly morph the kit up to Tamiya standards etc

Very complex shapes, lots of R & D, lots of decal artwork etc etc.   Based on the price of the very basic tiny Meteor, and bigger twin engined kits, an F-4K coming under £200 is very wishful thinking, especially with a further slump in the Pound. 

The HKM kit should easily surpass the 1990s era Tamiya Phantom II's and may well be the best F-4 kits ever, in any scale. Zoukei-Mura have some major issues to sort out before they take theirs to 1/32. 

Tony 

3 hours ago, Iain said:

Hi Thierry,

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree...

I've been looking at this for years - yes - there's a big section of fuselage that needs replacing - but by no means all of it.

If there wasn't the HK Models kit on the horizon I'd happily cut up a Tamiya F-4J.

Far less work than I can see in a full resin kit - but I'm sure others' mileage will vary!  :)

Iain

Hi Iain.

I'm a little bit puzzled when you write that only part of the fuselage needs replacing. Do you refer to the areas in front of the intakes and behind the exhausts? To me the full section from the intakes to the exhausts needs replacement and this is by far the majority of the fuselage or do I miss something somewhere (quite possible by the way)?

Thierry

Yes - agree to the section - I had marked out the area to be cut out at one point - following 'crease' along fuselage from intakes towards exhaust area.

My initial strategy was to replace this 'chunk' of fuselage with new sections/intakes/burner cans - but keep nose/cockpit area, fuselage spine/fin/part of fuselage rear.

Unless you can cast resin to a very high standard - from bang-on masters - I'd much rather start with the Tamiya fuselage. But that's probably just me (and I hate big chunks of resin that need hacking and shaping)...

The wider section of fuselage actually sits over the top of the 'J' wing box/upper skin. I have photos/dimensions of a K/M wing removed from a fuselage that demonstrate this.

Yes - it's a big conversion - but replace intake to exhaust section of fuselage/underside + exhaust and you're most of the way there.

*YES* there are other changes - but by no means that difficult to do IMHO.

Anyway - moot if we're going to get the HK kit  :)

Iain

6 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

I am working on one already, the intakes are easy but the rear fuselage is a real pain in the petootie.

Cees

One thing I'd caution Cees. Nearly all Spey conversions going back to the original 1/48 one in (I think) Scale Models in the mid '70s, only widen the fuselage from the main gear bay forward, which to my eye over emphasises the coke bottle look. The forward intake flare really needs to begin from the flap junction to give it more room for a more gradual widening.

Also the rear missile troughs need to be separated so they can be laid back in and flat on the remodelled rear engine bays.

10 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

I am working on one already, the intakes are easy but the rear fuselage is a real pain in the petootie.

Cees

And a cracking job you are doing of it too!

4 hours ago, Iain said:

The wider section of fuselage actually sits over the top of the 'J' wing box/upper skin. I have photos/dimensions of a K/M wing removed from a fuselage that demonstrate this.

Iain

I forgot it! This explains that.

Thanks for the reminder.

T.

Here's a couple of videos that will help as it shows the main wings being split and removed from the fuselage for transportation from RAF Leuchars to UAS in Northern Ireland

https://youtu.be/nmUvs-047Ek

https://youtu.be/IGxX8E1s7Jo