Brass casting LSP gear

Out2gtcha

Ok gents and gentettes.........................

After a lengthy discussion with an LSPer at the US NATs, and later a discussion about it between a lot of us LSPers at the show, we have all come to the mutual conclusion that there is a BIG need for some brass cast gear around here that looks like may NEVER be filled.

G-Factor looks to have gone incommunicado for whatever reason, and there has been zero response to any number of requests to Ernie and crew, about casting new models of gear.

With the release of the new HpH Tigercat showing (UHHHHHH!!!) of all things a pinned nose gear (im actually pretty upset about that myself), and the fact that I myself am holding off two, and know personally about 6 other guys holding off building KHMs OV-10s for lack of stable and strong MLG for that kit, I am just putting this out there, so see if there is something we can do as a community about it.

That being said, I know as a personal fact that two separate LSPers are already checking into possible brass casters, but I wanted to get this thread rolling to see if anyone else had any ideas on a way to get some LSP landing gear cast in brass?

I know for SURE at the top of the list of needed brass gear are the two I mentioned above:

- KHM OV-10 Bronco

- HpH F7F Tigercat

Edited by Out2gtcha

Ernie's far from the easiest person to get a response from, though he has released some sets which surprise, such as for the Hunter and Hawk.

I bought a very nice set of brass u/c for the P-39 a few years ago, which Alan in Austria had made, so maybe contact him?

The Revell Typhoon (Eurofighter) could do with a brass u/c set.

Edited by Kagemusha

Im still not giving up on the OV-10, but I think that brass gear for the forthcoming F7F may be a bit more unlikely. 

I can probably find a way to mod the T-Cat gear too, as I well and TRULY hate the way the pinned gear looks. It really destroys the look of the nose of the aircraft for me, and instantly reminds me its a model and even reminds me a bit of a toy factor. 

Guest Peterpools

I'm in for the brass gear as finding G Factors gear is a struggle.

I'm in for gear for:

HPH Tigercat

Fisher F4D ... just to be on the safe side

I normally buy Ernie's gear when I can find it for future builds as I know when I need them, I won't be able to buy them

Peter

I've had a try with white metal gear and I've considered it for my future 1/48 F-105...but I get 2 pieces of nose gear in the bag and how the heck am I supposed to attach them together..if I had a micro drill press and a mini vice or something I could insert a pin but I don't..??

As with all things, anything is possible. Whether it is financially viable is a different question!

There are several companies here in the UK who do investment casting from wax intermediate masters which are made on a very high definition 3d printer. We had some parts made a few years ago in silver, although there were other metals available. I can ask what the current prices are, but I would need to know what sort of quantities would be involved. The parts were excellent, by the way!!

I personally have NO idea what's involved in making brass castings.

First you need a detailed master pattern to create a mold. So someone has got to make the master usually one for each gear. Quite a bit of work = (time) is involved!

Process is one of the oldest metal working methods known, at least 5,000 years old!!

You make a model of the part you want in wax, or some modern plastics work too. Then attach the model with many others to a wax core trunk. You coat the models and trunk with a ceramic slurry. This is fired in an oven, which vitrifies the slurry into a hard ceramic mould, while the original wax models melt and burn out. The ceramic mould then goes into a vacuum furnace and molten metal poured into the trunk, the vacuum helping to pull the liquid into every tiny detail in the cavity. After the metal has cooled, the ceramic shell is broken away revealing metal copies of the original waxes.

It is a process very widely used in the jewellry trade, but in many other industrial markets too. From turbine blades to complex surgical instruments and lots more besides.

Do a search for 'Investment Casting' for more details.

Edited by wunwinglow

Guest Smitty44

I talk to him on FB on occasion, but it's just personal stuff. Same with Glen Coleman, Paul Fisher, Floyd Werner, Jerry Rutman, and others,... I don't talk business on personal time with them. We can BS back and forth all day long, but business is business and is discussed during business hours.

I detest people asking me about automobiles and gearboxes at 2200 hrs. Call the damn shop in the daytime!  LOL.

I better never hear a word about food, sheesh! :fight:

Yes. Which is why 3d printing in wax is how it is done on an industrial scale. The 3d data is the master, as the waxes and ceramics are lost every time. The old way was to either sculpt the master in wax, and loose it, or make moulds of the part, or parts, and skillfully assemble the waxes into the final model. This how jewellry casting has been done for thousands of years. Wax can be cast into silicone rubber moulds but if the parts are very delicate, thats no easy task either!!

It is a very skill-intensive process, which is why it is so expensive.

Oh, for precision work, you have to factor in a shrinkage allowance as the metal cools.....