1/32 Scale Century Series.

Guest Maxim

Well, gents, we have to open our eyes...

In spite of the large scale kit boom, besides Trumpeter/Hobbyboss production we did not get a lot of jets from the cold war era up to the seventies...

Think about it twice: if we do not consider the already old Phantoms, Starfighters, Hunter and Sabre from other manufacturers, what did we get?

1. The Kittyhawk Sabre dog

2. The Kinetic Sabre

3. The KH Meteor

4. The Italeri Mirage III

5. The Italeri F-104

6. The SH F-80/T-33

7. The SH X-15

8. The SH Buckeye from SH

I'm possibly forgetting one release but besides this... there were not a lot of things! The rare releases of other jets were more recent birds (Hawk, F-35, etc.) and they were not numerous either.

So, if we put aside Trumpeter, we simply get more or less ten cold war jets injected plastic models in nearly twenty years!!! And if you remove the small planes like the T-33 or Sabre, the large jet releases can be counted on the fingers of a single hand :-(

Unfortunately, "our" main provider - Trumpyboss - noticeably decreased the release of large scale planes. I am already happy seeing the MiG-29s coming!

Believe me, I am even ready to pay for resin kits of the missing century kits or other iconic jets I'm dying for ages but I'm not very optimistic in spite of the fact the demand is there. To me, the hope is the arrival of a newjoiner such as TAN models to "shake the market".

Another problem is the critical mass of buyers. LSP modellers are asking for good quality kits that require expensive investment. We may consider that problem by any end, such an investment stays a business problem, not a hobby one... What puzzles me is the lack of small jets. A F-101, F-106 or F-111 is going to cost far more money to be produced than a F-5A or a first generation Harrier. The lack of SUCH small planes already puzzles me!

And to put things in another perspective, Wingnuts released more WW1 planes mold families in less than ten years... and do not tell me that this is simply because the WW1 planes are quite smaller! The release of  a Gotha, an AEG and a Felixstowe demonstrates this IS possible!

This is the harsh reality... :-(

There will be at least one...

Well, Jennings, if you are right and our Chinese friends finally deliver, this is already positive but I fear this will take years considering the already crowded agenda...

By the way, the USAF and the Canada were not the only 101 operators, the One-O-Wonder was also used by Taiwan... Finally, it was intensively used in SEA.

In comparison, the F-102 was used by the USAF with a short SEA presence and its Greece and Turkey uses are rather anecdotic. The 106 is iconic as well but was essentially the king of ADC in a single grey livery.

I think HK has the guts to release such a kit and the Brit Phantom project also shows it. But they are quite a small bsuiness. So, wait and see...

The F-102 and Voodoo really appeal to me, and I suspect we'll see one or the other eventually. And let's not forget the KH Mirage 2000, that's bound to be interesting too, and I'll snatch one of those in a New York minute.

I would love to see the CF-101 Voodoo, (that's the two seat version), in 1/32 scale!!

Bring it on! And as Rob so correctly stated - please don't open every panel or engine bay!!! I prefer if the inside of the fuselage/wing is already scribed to allow for the modeler to decide if he/she wants to open a panel up!!

Cheers

Alan

I suppose manufacturers don't see a market big enough to turn a decent profit.

Perhaps it's an age thing? Anything pre-1946 tends to sell like cucumber in a nunnery, because of the associations with world-wide conflicts. Whilst more recent stuff sells because - well, it's more modern and people feel more of a connection to it.

In between is a group of jets that are too old to have a real emotional link with most modellers - except older modellers & Stephen - and don't have the sexy WWII and WWI link either. They perhaps were not widely used outside the US and didn't have very long service lives.

So it all adds up to an era that's effectively overlooked by the mainstream manufacturers?

I wonder whether this all about color scemes and lack of historical knowledge. The 104 series are mainly lawn darts. Silver colored almost experimental jet age creatures that flew during an annoying era of the Cold War. Folks wanted to get on with their lives after WWII. Not covered much in high school history class. Now the Spitfires, P-47 and P-51s are covered in glamor. They have interesting color schemes. The air war of Europe was actually mentioned in my high school history class. Just a pile of thoughts. If some one sells one of these I will buy it.

Rick

I would love to see the CF-101 Voodoo, (that's the two seat version), in 1/32 scale!!

Bring it on! And as Rob so correctly stated - please don't open every panel or engine bay!!! I prefer if the inside of the fuselage/wing is already scribed to allow for the modeler to decide if he/she wants to open a panel up!!

Cheers

Alan

Me too!

Voodoo10.jpg

I just want a really nice F-105 in 32nd or 48th...but a 106 woukd be nice to...

Here, here!

The Thud, although kitted many times over in all scales, has yet to be done full justice by any manufacturer. Too many difficult-to-correct errors plague all of the available kits...conicallly depicted radomes where the real deal is ogive; "squashed" canopies and windscreens, where the real ones curved more than 180 degrees in cross section; and surface details that are unconvincing, at least by today's standards.

My two cents worth...

Rich

Edited by allthumbs