NA Harvard IIa 20 SFTS Cranborne S Rhodesia (finished)

mozart

I've been getting on with my Harvard build in my few spare moments, nothing spectacular but I'm almost at the priming and painting stage.  The first hurdle that had to be overcome however, as I mentioned above, is the tailwheel configuration.  As supplied by KH, the tailwheel fits directly into the fuselage, as here on this fine build (I'm not sure who's it is but I hope he doesn't mind me using one of his pictures!):

WFmZgO.png

The actual arrangement is shown in the previous post, but since my model is going to be airborne the rear shock won't be under pressure so there's a very distinctive look about it:

Mwusst.jpg

I started making mine by carving out a piece of resin left over from the Brassin Mustang wheels:

b2Nyhn.jpg
B9RC3s.jpg

and measuring it against the clearest photo I could find which I reduced to about 1/32 scale.  My research also showed me the structure of the whole arrangement:

MezAtE.jpg

and it soon started to look reasonable.  A couple of bits of shaped 10 thous plastic glued to a piece of channel and some plastic rod quickly produced the end result:

NFpab2.jpg

I'm rather pleased with the look of it all.  Priming next then I'm going to try the "Scotchbrite" black-basing method.

I should also have explained that I'm working on 3 of these kits at the moment. Two as Harvards and two as Wirraways. :huh:

If that doesn't add up, that's because one of the Harvards is a Wirraway. And that statement will make sense when I put up the build logs on these particular models... 

Max, yes, the Wirraway and the Harvard I shared the same wing design. The conversion of the KH Texan kit to a Wirraway requires lots of surgery, but it's the only thing close in 1/32 scale, so it's a useful starting point. My build log is here: 

I'm still researching for the other two KH Texan kit builds, so I'll start the build logs for those soon...

Thanks for posting that link Derek, don't know how I missed your Wirraway build!  It's looking very good, I'm especially impressed with the engine and prop development. I've contemplated usung the KH kit to make a Mk I Harvard but there is precious little out there in the way of detail scale drawings to work from, so at the moment I'm having to content myself with modding a 1/48 one, it's not the same feeling of satisfaction though! 

fHWAb7.jpg
saJAAh.jpg

Edited by mozart

Thanks Brian.  It's interesting the amount of scorn that has been poured onto various aspects of the HK Lancaster, how it's less than perfect.  Well the KH T-6 is less than perfect too, but it's correcting and enhancing the "unfinished canvas" of such kits that gives me the most pleasure.  My "perfect" Tamiya Spitfire IX is unfinished in its box, I got bored with it!  Horses for courses I guess. :)

Edited by mozart

3 hours ago, mozart said:

Thanks Brian.  It's interesting the amount of scorn that has been poured onto various aspects of the HK Lancaster, how it's less than perfect.  Well the KH T-6 is less than perfect too, but it's correcting and enhancing the "unfinished canvas" of such kits that gives me the most pleasure.  My "perfect" Tamiya Spitfire IX is unfinished in its box, I got bored with it!  Horses for courses I guess. :)

Just like my Tamiya Corsair Max, a beautiful kit but I just got plain bored with it. Lovely work on the Harvard by the way. 

Regards. Andy

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've posted an update, pre-painting in fact.  So things have progressed but not necessarily smoothly.  Having done the masks, applied them on the upper wing as number 99, I found a) the usually faultless MRP+Oramask 810 combination resulted in a less than perfect edge though I'm not sure why, and b) that from close scrutiny of a rather hazy black and white wartime photograph, 99 was a Mk I and not a Mk II.  So all that was sanded back and the leader of this balbo was chosen instead:

9lJosf.jpg

The later Harvards supplied to Rhodesia were all in the EX serial range and left NMF but the earlier ones were those painted yellow and more likely to be in the AJ serial range, so mine is plausibly AJ617!! :)
aEifrN.jpg
ZdVX87.jpg
NUXaun.jpg
d5lhXW.jpg

I'm currently working on fiddly bits like undercarriage (being lowered), prop (spinning) and flaps (down) before adding a multitude of stencils and a bit of weathering.  Just the canopy to mask inside and out then!

Edited by mozart