NA Harvard IIa 20 SFTS Cranborne S Rhodesia (finished)

mozart

• 1 year later...

I've picked up my Harvard build again over the past couple of weeks, a few update pictures and brief comments where necessary:

Work on the cockpit and pilot figure:

dxWyF4.jpg

luX8JK.jpg
qYjXFp.jpg
71WLec.jpg

The KH kit lacks the horns on the rudder for the linkages:

mpdHxP.jpg

so some work on this:

D4vfUd.jpg
QqEoko.jpg

zcBBfK.jpg

The fit of the aft panel isn't great on the KH kit, I'm not sure why they planned it as a separate item instead of moulded as part of the fuselage halves, so filling and sanding necessary:

Er2bzK.jpg
iyWqHe.jpg
9fHzmy.jpg

Another area needing work is KH's attempt at portraying the underlying metal structure of the fabric covered empennage.  As can be seen on the Harvard photograph, it's not that obvious: 

Qu40jw.png

so the lines were sanded off:
RatKtK.jpg

and lines of Archer rivets applied - not strictly accurate either I know but an improvement to my eyes:

9LKkRh.jpg
L8CjAV.jpg

I've done a little work on the air intake on the port front cowling.  The kit version is just a flat blank so I drilled that out, thinned down a BF109 radiator grille and cut it to shape for the intake:

iLvCgS.jpg

Another area needing a little detailing is the refuelling points.  KH's mouldings drilled out and replaced with better looking versions:

9ftfVi.jpg
1TDijZ.jpg
vOU8YM.jpg

The IPs supplied are wrong for an RAF WW2 vintage Harvard, so these are being addressed.  I've taken a rather lazy approach I'm afraid in just putting Airscale dials straight onto the plastic surface, I may put the bezels in front....hmmm?

2tJxsq.jpg
ECKPm4.jpg
g38WXV.jpg
BhNZv4.jpg
PSxeuA.jpg

The large white lump on the inside of the top nose panel is additional anchorage for the tall radio aerial, mine snapped off on my first build when the aerial was stretched.

And finally, Mustang wheels were ordered to replace the flimsy KH ones.  The Harvard is going to be in-flight, but possibly flaps down and uncart being lowered.......

kBYUge.jpg

that's where "it's at" folks.  More later I hope! :)

Edited by mozart

20 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Lovely work, Max! Just remember, though, that this is a KH kit, not a HK one!

Kev

Thanks for that Kev, dyslexia strikes again....or senior moments!  Will correct immediately lest I cause offence! :)

13 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Good to see you back on this one Max and some nice work on the cockpit. Like your use of the Archer rivets as well. 

Regards. Andy

You'll always be the Archer rivet King Andy!! :)

1 hour ago, Pascal said:

Very nice work Max. Where can one buy that figure ?

Sincerely

Pascal

Thank you Pascal.  The figure is a Wings Cockpit figure, adapted as mentioned previously to get rid of the Mae West, but the only way you can order is via Facebook or try david.allen@wingscockpitfigures.com, the figure is coded RAF01 in David's excellent range of figures.

Now here's a funny thing!!  As can be seen from this extract from the T-6/Harvard manual, the engine cowling comprises three parts:

3bRXvO.png

so I wonder why KH decided to make the model one four parts, none of the joints coinciding with the panel joins on the real thing:
qRY3L7.jpg

More sanding, more polishing! :BANGHEAD2:

Another small feature of the RATG Harvards was the addition of a grille on the front of the intake on the underside of the forward fuselage, as can be seen here in a wartime photograph and two that I took in Gweru in 2013:

Mwusst.jpg

A5Clsy.jpg
lNV28y.jpg

Once again I used a thinned piece of mesh from a Bf109 kit, then I cut an open rectangle from ten thou plastic card, sanded to make it more scale in appearance:

h5HaQM.jpg

7ACapt.jpg

Also worth noting in the flying Harvards is the tailwheel.  The faired "oleo", if that what it is, is completely missed on the KH kit so will be scratchbuilt along these lines:

gveb4D.jpg

Busy few days coming up so little modelling time sadly! :(

Edited by mozart