NA Harvard IIa 20 SFTS Cranborne S Rhodesia (finished)

mozart

I'm rather pleased with the outcome of my problematic canopy.  I used the centre section canopy for the aft one (thanks for the thought Kag!), put the "fake" one inside the forward section and then glued one edge first and once dry, I then "eased" the other edge out to take up as much of the lip as possible.  A little touching up to do but nowhere near as much as I thought I was going to be faced with:

1Hqryk.jpg
hFs4xc.jpg

Edited by mozart

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, love it Max! Quite ingenious actually. How did you get the (and what did you use for) the "glass" attached flush with the frame?

It’s not glazed Brian, no point in doing it and it certainly made fitting the frame easy. It really doesn’t notice at all. :) 

Derek, Andy and Nick, thanks for your kind comments.  It all seems to be working rather well so far, fingers crossed for the rest of the build including the "airborne dio"! :frantic:

Nick, I was playing in a team golf match today - we were all sitting watching the TV beforehand whilst sipping our coffees and eating bacon baps, thrilled to see Aussie wickets tumbling.  Four and a bit hours later we were equally thrilled to see England totting up the runs, with the win being sealed during dinner.  We won our golf match too, so all in all a great day!! :D

8 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Not so much for us Aussie fans!

Kev

Kev at least your team can still hold their heads up high. unlike ours. What a bloody disastrous Word Cup for the South African Team.

Max what an interesting build. I went onto the net and read up a bit more on the flying schools in Southern Rhodesia during the war and was amazed at the number of aircrew trained by such a small country and community. Something like 5% of all Commonwealth aircrew. A fact largely forgotten by history.

Nick 

54 minutes ago, Cheetah11 said:

Max what an interesting build. I went onto the net and read up a bit more on the flying schools in Southern Rhodesia during the war and was amazed at the number of aircrew trained by such a small country and community. Something like 5% of all Commonwealth aircrew. A fact largely forgotten by history.

Nick 

Indeed Nick, very large numbers, mostly RAF but also Aussies and Greeks. I’ve done quite a bit of research about the RATG at the National Archives though generally the level of information available is pretty poor. The museum at Gweru has some interesting photos and exhibits, but other than that internet research and a few BCATP books is all there is.  Picking up scraps from here and there, but no one coherent source.....perhaps I should write a book!  After leaving Rhodesia Dad was posted to South Africa, working in Air Traffic Control, before his later posting to Germany. 

49 minutes ago, Fvdm said:

What a terrific build. You inspired me to put this one on my wishlist.

Thank you very much. This is my second Harvard, given to me actually by Hubert who sadly no longer graces this forum. It’s a good basic platform to build on, not perfect in many ways, but that’s how I like my modelling! I’m so tempted to get another and use it as a basis for a Mk I. 

Talking of Mk 1s, I found this fabulous picture today on the IWM website (not sure why I haven't found it before!).  Some interesting markings on them, the middle Harvard (N7061) looks to be a completely different colour to the other two.  I checked Dad's logbook, he flew both N7095 and N7061in his early days at 20 SFTS before tending to fly more MkIIs.

6bEw7J.jpg