Ok, What to build ? F-8 or F-4J?

Guest Maxim

Some zacto model sidewinders will look good. I know that Aires do a kit with all of their resin kits for the f-8 in one set, cockpit, wheel bays and exhaust which works out to be much cheaper. I'll be following this build.

Guest Maxim

Some zacto model sidewinders will look good. I know that Aires do a kit with all of their resin kits for the f-8 in one set, cockpit, wheel bays and exhaust which works out to be much cheaper. I'll be following this build.

That's exactly what I have in mind. 4 x AIM-9D loaded for Bear.

Rich,

All things being equal, I vote for the F-8E just because there are a million F-4 builds on LSP and hardly any F-8 builds. 

Joel

Joel, isn't that because the Crusader kit isn't very accurate? Not trying to be snarky, but I have heard some much moaning and groaning about the Trumpy F-8s. I thought seriously about one because of its storied role in Marine aviation in VN, but when I looked at all the AM it would require, I passed on to other challenges.

Joel, isn't that because the Crusader kit isn't very accurate? Not trying to be snarky, but I have heard some much moaning and groaning about the Trumpy F-8s. I thought seriously about one because of its storied role in Marine aviation in VN, but when I looked at all the AM it would require, I passed on to other challenges.

Bill,

Unfortunately, that's the story more often then not about Trumpeter kits.  Some really good, most marginal requiring a lot of AM, and some just so bad they're not worth the effort like their P-51B and F6F-3/5. Both Iconic aircraft at are musts for me, and to build them I'm once again looking at 1/48 scale. 

I'll have to admit that the move to 1/32 scale hasn't been the next big step up I thought it was going to be.

Joel. 

Bill,

I'll have to admit that the move to 1/32 scale hasn't been the next big step up I thought it was going to be.

Joel. 

I guess for me there are so many iconic aircraft in 32-scale I haven't built that it's not a big problem so far. Probably won't live long enough to run out of kits, haha.

I guess for me there are so many iconic aircraft in 32-scale I haven't built that it's not a big problem so far. Probably won't live long enough to run out of kits, haha.

Bill,

​  I'm guessing I can build until 80-85, that's a max of 15 years if nothing physical or mental strikes me like most things have.  I guess my areas of interest are pretty narrow and cease after Vietnam. I did build a F-15C in 1/48 scale, but it was from Jim on Aeroscale, so technically I built it as a build review blog, not a kit I chose to purchase. 

Joel

Bill,

​  I'm guessing I can build until 80-85, that's a max of 15 years if nothing physical or mental strikes me like most things have.  I guess my areas of interest are pretty narrow and cease after Vietnam. I did build a F-15C in 1/48 scale, but it was from Jim on Aeroscale, so technically I built it as a build review blog, not a kit I chose to purchase. 

Joel

It's a race to the wake, Joel, haha. Gallows humor for you younger guys and gals.