Sign in to follow this  
Clunkmeister

1/48 scale C-46. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Facts are, I'm in love. The thing is straight. Amen to that! But it's way out of alignment at the nose, and the underbelly leaves much to be desired.

This is a fiberglass model, probably of HPH origin, and I'm looking for suggestions on how, first, to fix the alignment underneath and in the nose.

I fear the underneath may only be able to be filled and sanded.... I don't want to sand too much, because I'll end up in the cloth...

The nose however is slightly misaligned side to side to the tune of a lip of about 1/64" or so.

The top area will be vac'd and the top area cut out for the new section, so we may dodge a bullet there, and the nose has the fresh air vents on the front, so we'll have that, but generally, it's a bit hideous up there. Shane has already offered to help on the vac stuff.

on that note, a REAL shout out to Shane who spotted this and told me about it. He came running g to me like an excited teenager, and he turned me into an excited teenager! I'm so i credibly psyched about this, and I owe Shane BIG TIME!

IMG_4487-X2.jpg

Comments?

I was all-in until you said fibreglass.  I hate that stuff.  The smell...  I used to deliver to Four Winns!  Despite the smell, I tried to find uses for it.  But the mess and the dust. 

Good Luck!

Id probably have to agree w/Jennings in this situation Ern. I think you very well may end up going deeper than you wanted if you only try sanding.  

I think maybe a thin cutting wheel in a Dremel maybe, cut then re-glue and fill?

You know, I've gotta say that the persistence of a modeler is a lot of times directly related to how bad he or she wants to build a subject that they are truly interested in. That persistence is usually where I've found my greatest tips from and see the best modeling at. I'm really looking forward to seeing you build this Ernst.

Edited by mustang1989

You know, I've gotta say that the persistence of a modeler is a lot of times directly related to how bad he or she wants to build a subject that they are truly interested in. That persistence is usually where I've found my greatest tips from and see the best modeling at. I'm really looking forward to seeing you build this Ernst.

I think in this case for Erst, the C-46 is PERSISTENCE PERSONIFIED