Mark M

P-51 metal color?

ok, heres one for you all,

do i paint my mustang

1 - polished aluminum

2 - aluminum

3- duraminum 

answers on a post card please :)

The diagram gives you, shaded, the areas that were putted and painted silver.

The rest of the aircraft was natural metal.

My advice would be to just use a normal silver paint for the puttied areas. 

For the natural metal areas there is no one shade that is 'right'. 

Perhaps do a plain aluminium metaliser all over then pick out some panels to do a dark alumimium and perhaps one or two more in a matt aluminium or white aluminium.  The panel around the exhaust might best be done by a slightly darker shade than the rest.  It does not really matter what specific shades you use.  Weathering changes the appearance anyway. It is just important to pick out some panels with different shades.

Guest Peterpools

Terrific info but any chance of a translation

Would be greatly appreciated

Peter

Here is my take on painting a WW2 Mustang. Different undercoats under Alclad 119. Wings, rudder and fabric elevators are Alclad 116 with a topcoat of gloss clear to simulate the aluminum paste paint. Sorry my thread photos were killed by Photobucket :(

WOW..

They look BRILLIANT..

Only just seen these.

:goodjob:

The lighter grey areas are puttied and painted. You will hear people say that only this or that percent of the airfoil was puttied, but I've examined dozens of closeup period photos, and in person with my own eyeballs the only Mustang that still has its oringal WWII factory finish (the NASM example), and you simply can't see a single rivet or panel line anywhere on the wing in the lighter grey areas shown here. The panel lines shown ghosted were also completely filled and painted over. The draker panel lines were not filled, and remained visible. The darker grey areas are natural metal.

92y2XN.jpg

Edited by Jennings Heilig

Here's my take using the Hasegawa 1/48 kit:

i4ResY.jpg

Alclad Polished Aluminium vs Tamiya AS-12. I didn't bother to differentiate the natural metal panels on the wings, as shown in Jennings' drawing.

Kev

ok, heres one for you all,

do i paint my mustang

1 - polished aluminum

2 - aluminum

3- duraminum 

answers on a post card please :)

All of the above :popcorn:

I like to study photos from the period to answer questions like this. Look at the photos below, they tell a lot. From what I have seen, the P-51D's were definitely puttied and painted, but I also have read stories that during the winter of 1944, pilots had mechanics remove the dark green paint from the wings with avgas because they contrasted too much with snow covered ground. Study pictures and make you own inferences. I generally observe 5 distinct silver and aluminum. Silver painted wings and rudder, stainless patch behind exhaust, very light shade of aluminum top and bottom of cowl, the rest of the fuselage is a shiney and a darker aluminum. The good news is, black and white photos work great and discerning shades of metal.

This picture clearly shows puttied wings with zinc poking through.

x3bK1K2.jpg

Great color flight test factory photo showing differences in panel shading before and unit marking were painted on.

4ZFmKtU.jpg

Same plane different angle.

xsvMv8p.jpg

Looks like a pacific mustang, again showing puttied wings.

Jn9PFTa.jpg

T9z1WOx.jpg

Nice photo showing a pretty messy looking silver paint over putty.

T3Tuc7B.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale