I built the intake trunk 1/2 at a time.      Half the Bombay and 1/2 engine due to the fact the intake is split all the way to the engine front.

I ended up removing about 1/4 in' from the top of the Bombay and added the molded top piece. This lowered the rear of the Bombay to

expose more of the lower turbine inlet. Worked with paper to make and remake patterns and then .005 sheet with 2 .010 sheet for the split.

Cut a circle in .010 to fit the front of the engine from the inside and made cuts for the blades. Bullet is a 500 lber from the kit.

I made the trunk in 4 pieces to get above and below the lip on the fuselage. I made the lower trunks  and worked a curl so I could glue it to the

top of the Bombay and it would match up with the lower lip, also made a small split in the trunk so it would bend down to the lower inlet. It will not show

I attached the right side upper to the lip and when I added the 1/2 Bombay and 1/2  engine, modified so inlet ring and Bullet will be glued to a 1/2

and the other side will slide in when Finally closing the fuselage,

It's the Tale of Two Halves...

jackkXm0IMq.jpgAkGFPrS.jpghJ7hZbr.jpgW34AhtE.jpgFg1ivKT.jpgiuFu1pe.jpgzxBWKAz.jpgWxhBOCf.jpg

Did you decide on doing the -B Thunderbirds? If so definitely go with the GT Resin nose (don't know if he does a full -B conversion) but most of the other mods aren't too hard.

I did the T-bird a few years ago:

PyadyG1.jpg

Here's the RFI link if you're interested:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=53714&hl=

Good luck with the intakes - I chickened out and went with covers!

Mark

Did you decide on doing the -B Thunderbirds? If so definitely go with the GT Resin nose (don't know if he does a full -B conversion) but most of the other mods aren't too hard.

I did the T-bird a few years ago:

PyadyG1.jpg

Here's the RFI link if you're interested:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=53714&hl=

Good luck with the intakes - I chickened out and went with covers!

Mark

Mark, that's one beautiful T-Bird you've built there. As much as I'd like to do one, I already have more money into AM than I do in the kit - and the kit's not a cheap one, either. Financial considerations dictate that my build will be a -D model...

Guest Peterpools

Bill

Wil be following and taking a boatload of notes, so go slow. will also be going back and studying Jack's Thud as well.

I'll be building a F-105G next year and need a good education on how to do the Thud

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

And so it begins...

I've nearly completed the engine; still a few what-nots to add, highlights on the piping and a wash. A wasted effort, I know - it will all be hidden.

DSCN1598%5B1%5D.jpg

I cut down the bomb bay. It covered about a quarter of the engine face, and the top was visible through the intakes.

I also marked the center line of the intake. I measure about .415 inches offset to the center line of the engine.

DSCN1600_1.jpg

I've decided that I'm going to start at the engine and work my way forward. The 30 degree elbow is made of paper; I can fine tune it and use it as a pattern for styrene parts.

DSCN1601%5B1%5D.jpg

Edited by Bill_S

• 2 weeks later...

The intakes look like a lot of work!! Nice progress with them. Have you figured out the loadout yet?

Don

I'm a LONG way from deciding on that, Don - I haven't decided on markings yet!

Looking good, in case you plan to have the canopy open, there was an indicator that showed it as you can see in this pic, just to the left of the top of the ladder:

http://www.crecy.co.uk/images/1d%20Getting%20My%20Bird%20Ready.JPG

Jari

Thanks for the photo, Jari! Is that an indicator, or an external latch? Maybe someone more familiar with this aircraft can explain.

A little progress. I got base coats on the gear bays and cockpit tub.

DSCN1609%5B1%5D.jpg

I'm concentrating on the wings, as I have some work to do to dress up the intakes.

I cemented a piece of 0.010" (.25 mm) sheet inside to give it some depth. Filled with Tamiya fine putty.

DSCN1616%5B1%5D.jpg

Next was to saw off the fuselage mounted intakes - my hats off to Jack (Marauderdriver) for this idea.

DSCN1610%5B1%5D.jpg

These parts are definitely "handed" - you have to keep track of which goes on which side of the aircraft. I started trimming: the Thud has a moveable section in the intake to compensate for shock waves.

Here both parts are trimmed...

DSCN1614%5B1%5D.jpg

A quick test fit -

DSCN1613%5B1%5D.jpg

And now some skin. Once the glue dries, they'll get a trim.

DSCN1615%5B1%5D.jpg

Edited by Bill_S