Difference between F-8E and F-8E(FN) Crusader??

Guest DannyVM

Are you doing an early or a late French Cruz?  For later ones, they had the 4 radial spokes on the AB ring, not 5, and the nozzle petal stiffeners were solid not perforated.

This thread shows the differences in the two Aires exhausts.  You want the second set, that matches the post-79 exhaust photo linked earlier.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/69903-aires-132-f-8-exhaust-differences/

Edited by Dave Williams

Aha! So fewer radial bars on the later engines.

Note that the Aires 'pits depict the rectangular radarscope display at a comfortable looking reclined angle. That, in all probability, was based on a widely circulated shot of an atypical fit. Apparently most were fitted perpendicular - staring at the pilot's chest to reduce glare.

One of the best acquisitions is G Factor brass landing gear. I have a set and it is exquisite, and differs from the kit parts for the right gait or sit. I also have a Rhino resin seamless inlet, but it might be more trouble than a help - am planning to create a hybrid of the front kit and rear of the Rhino inlet parts.

There's a hideous amount of etch from Eduard which might appeal. Am using some to tart up the variable incidence wing and fuselage interior.

HTH

Tony 

20 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Are you doing an early or a late French Cruz?  For later ones, they had the 4 radial spokes on the AB ring, not 5, and the nozzle petal stiffeners were solid not perforated.

This thread shows the differences in the two Aires exhausts.  You want the second set, that matches the post-79 exhaust photo linked earlier.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/69903-aires-132-f-8-exhaust-differences/

I'm gonna build a late F-8P.

20 hours ago, Tony T said:

Aha! So fewer radial bars on the later engines.

Note that the Aires 'pits depict the rectangular radarscope display at a comfortable looking reclined angle. That, in all probability, was based on a widely circulated shot of an atypical fit. Apparently most were fitted perpendicular - staring at the pilot's chest to reduce glare.

One of the best acquisitions is G Factor brass landing gear. I have a set and it is exquisite, and differs from the kit parts for the right gait or sit. I also have a Rhino resin seamless inlet, but it might be more trouble than a help - am planning to create a hybrid of the front kit and rear of the Rhino inlet parts.

There's a hideous amount of etch from Eduard which might appeal. Am using some to tart up the variable incidence wing and fuselage interior.

HTH

Tony 

I will take that into notice Tony, thank's.

Hi Dave

35 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

There are Magics in the Italeri Mirage kits, although I think the nose is too long, like they measured with a seeker cap, but didn’t really represent the cap.

The Magics in the Italeri kit is the right overall length, The front pair of fins are 5mm too far to the rear, giving the odd look to these missiles.

Nick

18 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Dave

The Magics in the Italeri kit is the right overall length, The front pair of fins are 5mm too far to the rear, giving the odd look to these missiles.

Nick

Thanks for the info.  That makes it an easy fix by just cutting a 5mm section off the nose and splicing it into the body.