Difference between F-8E and F-8E(FN) Crusader??

Guest DannyVM

Hi guy's,

maybe this question is asked before, then  :sorry:  if i tackle this up again.

I understand that the Trumpeter F-8J is the better choice for a French Navy Crusader, but are there any other differences which i should keep in mind??

I know there is the Zacto Models correction set, is this also relevant for a French Navy Crusader??

In other words, i really want to do this right, 

Greetz

Danny

Zacto to my knowledge doesn't have anything for the F-8. Maybe you're thinking about his A-7 correction?

I'm not sure on the French F-8s but I thought they had the larger stabs, that would be F-8J kit, not the F-8E. You can't built a J OOB from the E kit. (edit, nevermind, you probably already knew that and were looking for other differences between French F-8 and US F-8, I can't answer that)

Edited by ziggyfoos

The (FN) also had the double droop leading edge, which again is a reason to use the F-8J kit. I don't remember Zacto doing anything for the F-8. The only stuff that I remember specific for the (FN) were the OOP Skyraider Model Designs decals and F-8(P) conversion set.

As the French carrier decks were significantly smaller and shorter than their US counterparts, the French "Crouze" had to have a lower landing speed and more controllability at high AoA, hence the double-droop wings LE, and bigger tailplanes. You effectively need to start from a "J" to get a French F-8 E (FN)

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

The Aeronavale jets used different missiles, R530 etc

There also appears to be a different AB ring in the French engine (well, Aries do it that way) with extra spray bars.

Tony

Indeed. Afterburners of the French J-57 P-20-A were modified in 1979. They were identical to their US counterparts (F-8E) before that.

The French Crusaders were wired for the Matra R-530, but kept their wiring for US Sidewinders. Check which period you are trying to represent for a French aircraft

Hubert

it depend the period you want to depict your "Cruze" : in 1989 some aircraft ( 17) were modified to F8 P ( P for "prolonge") they were rewired with electrical , and hydraulic Systems , and radar warning antennas were also added on top of the vertical fin '( check pictures these AC were painted PRU blue) 

according to the smaller French carrier , the wing incidence angle was increased from 3 to 5 degrees ( not sure if it worth it to fix this particularity)

Berna decals has realised a decal sheet dedicated to the French "crusader " ref BD 3211

Alain 

Guest Airfixer

Timeframe is an important factor when it comes to Aéronavale Crouzes...

F-8E(FN) in a nutshell/chronology:

• F-8E(FN) had their AN/ASS-15 IR sensor removed during the very first years of their career. By 1970, the IR sensor had gone.
  • Lack of vertical tail RWR fairing
  • Aéronavale F-8E(FN) retained the original Mk-F5AF seat
  • Lateral VHF/UHF antenna introduced during the mid 1970s: http://www.ffaa.net/aircraft/crusader/images/walk-around/image-00125.jpg
  • Beginning from December 1978, introduction of the Matra R.550 Magic missile
  • Beginning from 1979, new flame holder and revised afterburner nozzle: http://amaymodelesclub.org/walkarounds/F-8EFNP/F-8EFNP-Images/32.jpg
  • Dorsal VHF/UHF antenna introduced during the early 1980s
  • 1987, introduction of the overall blue-grey DA (Défense Aérienne) scheme
  • 1989, Matra R.530 missiles retired

1990-1994, F-8P "Prolongé":

(Only noting the most prominent and visible features)

...et al...

HTH

Erik

ppNRTAH.jpg

n8xrHej.jpg

Edited by Airfixer

Zacto to my knowledge doesn't have anything for the F-8. Maybe you're thinking about his A-7 correction?

:doh:  :doh:  :doh:  Indeed, my mistake, stupid me :whistle:

which again is a reason to use the F-8J kit

Yes i did noticed that when i did some reading regarding French Crusaders.

There also appears to be a different AB ring in the French engine (well, Aries do it that way) with extra spray bars. 

So if i understand correctly, French Crusader where equipped with another engine then their US stable-mates??

Check which period you are trying to represent for a French aircraft

A rather later period when they used the dark grey color scheme.

Greetz

Danny

it depend the period you want to depict your "Cruze" : in 1989 some aircraft ( 17) were modified to F8 P ( P for "prolonge") they were rewired with electrical , and hydraulic Systems , and radar warning antennas were also added on top of the vertical fin '( check pictures these AC were painted PRU blue) 

according to the smaller French carrier , the wing incidence angle was increased from 3 to 5 degrees ( not sure if it worth it to fix this particularity)

Berna decals has realised a decal sheet dedicated to the French "crusader " ref BD 3211

Alain 

Great info Alain, i'm learning something here, thank's all of you guy's for helping me out :speak_cool:

I already had the Berna decals in mind. :wicked:

Erik, thank's mate for this great info, this is a good starting point. :speak_cool:

Greetz

Danny

• 1 year later...

Hi Guy's,

i just pulled this topic back out of the dust archives;)

I'm planning to buy some aftermarket stuff for my Crusader project, so all the above tip's, which where very appreciated are all ready saved into my brain.

But i still have some questions about the French cockpit compared with the J variant. I'm planning to buy the Aires cockpit set, so i had my eyes onto the Aires Crusader detail set.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE2100

Should this be the correct choice, also regarding the afterburner ring difference??

Thank's allot for the help.

Regards

Danny