1/18th Fw-190 from HobbyBoss

Radders

Its always worth having a centerpiece to any collection.

Several of the big shops in Osaka have handcmade 1/18th METAL. aircraft on display.

Certainly are beautiful but 10-15K pricectags...

Interesting concept by the Trump group of companies id grab a 262...maybe a late 109 if they fixed the lower cowl issue on there other 109's before they blow it up.

Be most impressive.

SMH???

Hmmm...1/18th scale FW190A...Might look good against my 1/18 MpM Me-262...

Don't really want to get heavy into such a large scale, but if the deal is too good to pass up... I actually traded a vac Lightning for the 262. Love the 190, tho, and it is a small aircraft in 1/32.

You should see the size of my 1/24th MiG-25; now that is a big model!

Getting back on target and to answer a question posted up-thread:

The FW 190A in 1/18 scale would be something like:

Length: 19.6" or 498mm

Wingspan: 23" or 584mm

I'm thinking of making it with landing gear retracted, and the plane mounted on a backing board inside a deep shadow box...then hung on the wall with the nose pointed up toward the ceiling.  

My fear is: 1) this plane will never actually come to market and 2) it will have many inaccuracies or toy like details.

I hope I am wrong; looking very forward to this.

Truth be told I think I am a 1/18 snob..

That is to say it's a perfect scale for a 2 year build with every rivet detailed which is pretty much my thing...

Anyone can build what they want, though I find shelf space is probably the same for one 1/18 model over that sort of timeframe as it is for a couple of 1/32 kits...

Anyways, I love 190s so maybe I should get one - when is it out?

Peter

I'm a dedicated 1/32 guy but I could seeing doing one of these just for the novelty and coolness factor.  Not for everyone but would make a nice centerpiece for your collection if you have room for it.

My fear is: 1) this plane will never actually come to market and 2) it will have many inaccuracies or toy like details.

If you want a good idea of what it will be like in terms of accuracy, just find some pics online of the prebuilt. It's Merit International item #60031. There don't seem to be any reviews of the quality, although the SBD they released before seemed to go over well. The FW190 was released prior to Thanksgiving last year, but from the talk about it at SmallScaleHQ almost no U.S. distributors ordered any, so they were all ordering theirs from overseas.

A couple of guys got theirs from EC-Hobby in Hong Kong and had some things to say that might be useful (scroll down until you see the pics of the plane): http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33483&start=175

It sounds like a good base model for the super-detailers who want to spend a lot of time getting it perfect - like airscale - but it will have the operating toy features with the caveats those entail.

Truth be told I think I am a 1/18 snob..

That is to say it's a perfect scale for a 2 year build with every rivet detailed which is pretty much my thing...

Anyone can build what they want, though I find shelf space is probably the same for one 1/18 model over that sort of timeframe as it is for a couple of 1/32 kits...

Anyways, I love 190s so maybe I should get one - when is it out?

Peter

It's got your name all over it mate! Reminds me, I should have space for the Tigercat still if you want it on our table this year?

Well, I have no interest in German, or axis aircraft for that matter.  Totally boring to me, just Allied in our scale, or larger.  That's how I'm wired.   So I guess that makes me a snob too. lol  Oh well.  The smaller scale multi engine allied aircraft do interest me though.

Best regards

Patrick

I am oddly interested in this kit. I hope the shapes are good. As far as the dauntless....i wish there was a little after market support. PE panel, brass gun barrels, wheels, belt buckles and masks/decals....

Edited by Rob Colvin

Seems like a lot of people assume that everything served on the plate MUST be consumed right there, right then. Portions are what the individual makes of them.

All the wacky size comments read just like the same type of comments made about 1/32 by smaller scale snobs.

D

Whoah! Steady there! We're neither "wacky" nor "snobs".

Just well adjusted folks with a sense of humour who don't want to leave the wings on the side of the worktop or put the propeller in a doggy bag.

Tony