F-16 Thunderbirds Tamiya: Evil Bay: 614 USD!!!

timvkampen

Maybe someone will pay it, but I think that is ahead of the real market value of the kit by several years assuming Tamiya does not reissue it. You can always search ebay advanced then mark completed sales to see what real market value is. That will give you all recent auction results. It is less definitive on buy it now if the seller took an offer because it does not give what the seller actually accepted.

I also think those are unrealistic prices as Tamiya will reissue the kit or a version of the kit that includes the parts eventually and someone will supply the decals.

If I were fortunate enough to get that kind of price for the kit as a seller I would indeed be very happy and buy a really nice bottle of wine because I don't think that will happen often.

You can ask any price ebay that does not mean you will get it. I was considering listing my #2 pencil for 10,000.00 just now.

I just ran an advanced search to see, the highest sale recently was $238.00 and the lowest was $188.00. So there is the realistic price range at auction for this kit. The buy it nows that had sold were also in between those two numbers. Low $200.00 range on buy it now if you actually want to sell the kit is what is realistic.

Like I said before, $500.00 is ahead of the market. They might go higher but odds are Tamiya will reissue the kit eventually to.

The kit is selling for a little over $200 on Amazon. Looks like a fantastic arbitrage opportunity.

Cheers,

Marcel

PS no idea why when it comes to EBay people get upset about the free market, it's a great platform for connecting buyers and sellers and nobody is forcing anybody to buy or sell. To check out how a planned market works, move to North Korea.

Edited by Marcel111

The kit is selling for a little over $200 on Amazon. Looks like a fantastic arbitrage opportunity.

Cheers,

Marcel

PS no idea why when it comes to EBay people get upset about the free market, it's a great platform for connecting buyers and sellers and nobody is forcing anybody to buy or sell. To check out how a planned market works, move to North Korea

Reasonable prices that a buyer would be willing to pay for a out of production kit.  I did some kit trading on one of the Facebook buy/sell groups and picked up a another Tamiya F-16C Thunderbirds kit, so always alternatives.

Kirk

Ebay has greatly changed since it was new in the 1990's. It might have been a garage sale when it started, but now it is a world wide market reaching almost anyone anywhere. You won't find the garage or estate sale prices there that you hope for, where sellers are uninformed as to the value of their product. You may find a careless seller who didn't spell the description correctly, and missed being seen by a competitive bidder. On the other hand, you could sell almost anything you want there, and reach buyers that you would never hope to at your own garage or even in your own newspaper ad.

If you already have access to a channel, like the trader's board here on LSP, just realize that this site gives you a much better deal than you would have had through any work or even luck on your own. (and thank you very much LSP, by the way). Ebay is actually worth the money, when you compare the prices that you'd get at the local IPMS swap meet with the sane bids you may get on Ebay. Sometimes you are in the right place at the right time and can actually sell a kit for more than you paid for it. Usually, it goes for much less.

Tnarg

• 2 weeks later...

Ebay is now pretty much the only place I buy model kits, unless I can get a kit from a mainstream online retailer for basically the same price.

If you steadily search for a given kit and are patient, and refuse to get in bidding wars or over-pay, you can get huge savings consistently.

Also, Japanese suppliers on Ebay are the only way to even think about going with Japanese kits.  The savings on big, fancy Tamiya kits of various types are enormous going through Japanese suppliers.

A recent Ebay snag was a lovely, new, Tamiya 1/24 Ferrari Testarossa...an old kit to be sure with relatively low value...but I got it for $3.74 in an auction!  

It still sells for like $30 at most mainstream online retailers in the USA!