So why did Tamiya discontinue the 1/32 F-16C block 30/32 kit?

For any manufacturer, each kit is a project that has to deliver a certain monetary return. So manufacturers do the maths and come up with a figure for a production run, based on how many they need to sell to make a profit, how many they think they'll sell, how much the buyers will be prepared to pay, how many the distributors want to take on, how much it costs to produce the kit and how much manufacturing capability they have etc. This will give them a figure for a production run that they can then manufacture. For re-issuing, the manufacturer has to be sure that the maths make sense again - although you don't have the cost of the tooling to consider, invariably and additional batch will be significantly smaller than the original because people tend to buy the kit when it first comes out. You also have to be certain that there is a significant demand second time around (which is pretty much a safe bet when it comes to WNW).

You can't keep kits in production forever, it's just not economically viable. Even the original Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk.II - probably the most produced and sold plastic kit ever - had periods when it was not actually being produced.

I was one of those that held off on adding one to the stash until they discontinued it.  Then I jumped on one as quick as the funds came available.  Still haven't built it, but not letting it go either!  I try not to be a hoarder, but I'm weak when it comes to kits.

I was one of those that held off on adding one to the stash until they discontinued it.  Then I jumped on one as quick as the funds came available.  Still haven't built it, but not letting it go either!  I try not to be a hoarder, but I'm weak when it comes to kits.

It is the only good block 30/32 in 1/32 out there.  Hopefully Tamiya will re-release it sometime in the future as a lot of very nice decal sheets coming out on the aggressor squadrons, etc.  I bought one about a month ago direct from Japan for under $200.00, checked back to pickup a second and third and the prices are now at insane levels, including Amazon and Ebay.  Figures.

Is that the same as their 1/32 Thuderbird kit (blk 30 series)?

I picked that kit up for about $35-$40 on the close out shelf at a Hobbytown a few years back. Always had planned on building a VF-45 F-16N with it.

Cheers

Collin

Is that the same as their 1/32 Thuderbird kit (blk 30 series)?

I picked that kit up for about $35-$40 on the close out shelf at a Hobbytown a few years back. Always had planned on building a VF-45 F-16N with it.

Cheers

Collin

It is the same - good move on picking one up a few years ago.  You can probably make a killing on profit for the kit now.

FWIW, the Thunderbird kit does not build into a Block 30, only a 32.  The kit doesn't come with the GE exhaust  or the MCID intake. Of course you could do a VERY early block 30 with the NSI intake and the Block 50 exhaust.

Edited by Juggernut

Guest Smitty44

FWIW, the Thunderbird kit does not build into a Block 30, only a 32.  The kit doesn't come with the GE exhaust  or the MCID intake. Of course you could do a VERY early block 30 with the NSI intake and the Block 50 exhaust.

You can find either style intake and exhaust out there in the aftermarket arena. GT Resins, Zacto, CMK, and maybe Wolfpack?? The thing that is hard to come by is the lightweight landing gear, gear doors, and landing lights.

Guest Smitty44

The Thunderbird kit already has the lightweight gear.

I know, but if there was aftermarket covering the gear and doors you would not have to pay hundreds of dollars for the Thunderbirds kit to build an early Blk F-16.

Tamiya re releases most of their stuff eventually, I would think this would make a comeback. Tamiya is not like WNW in terms of bringing stuff back. Usually they run it periodically. Out of production with them as far as I can tell almost never means gone forever, just gone for now.

As to prices, what someone is asking and what it really sells for are two different things. I ran a search based upon the other thread as to this kit to see what they are really selling for. I found no recent sales over $238.00. These are not that rare and they are coming on the market fairly regularly and seem to be selling in the $200.00 range.

I have a left over breath mint from my tuna sandwich that I am planning to list on ebay for $100.00 unless one of you want to buy it direct.