A C-47 on floats!

MustangManiac

Guest Jessie_C

That photo makes me think that the inboard angled struts leading up to the wing root area are plain tubes with an aerodynamic fairing wrapped around them. You can probably find brass or aluminium extrustions in the RC section of the hobby shop which will let you recreate that.

Hello everyone,

I made a little progress on my C-47 floatplane. I added some resin blocks in the wheel wells and added a resin blanking plate in each one because otherwise there will be nothing for about half of the surface area of the main struts to mount on. Without these it would take a lot of putty to fill the wheel wells. These will make it a lot easier to make the blanked off wheel wells along with being more of a sturdy mounting point for the struts.

A couple of shots of one side done with one still to go:

hF3ZNDf.jpg

77OIzqO.jpg

A close up of the finished blanking plate:

VyFWfDT.jpg

There's still more to do Im sorry I forgot to take a picture of both wheel wells being filled. I'll do that later.

Cheers,

Brady

I have one of these in 1/32 that was carved from hard wood by a member of this forum. He is an excellent carver in wood. He was the pilot of an F-100 in the old days and he said he got bored a lot waiting to fly so he carved models in 1/32 scale.  

As a sculptor I am eternally jealous of his remarkable skill.  :wub:

He has since switched to 1/144 scale.  :o But that is OK as my admiration for him remains unbounded.

"Keep 'em Flying!"

Stephen

You can easily figure the size of this beastie in 1/32 scale. The wingspan of a C-47 was 96 feet. 

Multiply 96 feet x 12 to convert feet to inches = 96 x 12 = 1152 inches.

Divide that by 32 to get the wingspan in 1/32 scale in inches  1152 / 32 = 36 inches.

I have one of these in 1/32 that was carved from hard wood by a member of this forum. He is an excellent carver in wood. He was the pilot of an F-100 in the old days and he said he got bored a lot waiting to fly so he carved models in 1/32 scale.  

As a sculptor I am eternally jealous of his remarkable skill.  :wub:

He has since switched to 1/144 scale.  :o But that is OK as my admiration for him remains unbounded.

"Keep 'em Flying!"

Stephen

You can easily figure the size of this beastie in 1/32 scale. The wingspan of a C-47 was 96 feet. 

Multiply 96 feet x 12 to convert feet to inches = 96 x 12 = 1152 inches.

Divide that by 32 to get the wingspan in 1/32 scale in inches  1152 / 32 = 36 inches.

Wow Stephen, it would be nice to know where your friend got his dimensions for the inner float struts that aren't included in this conversion set that I have to make myself, just in 1/72. I will say this beast in 1/32 scale would be huge.

Brady

Wow Stephen, it would be nice to know where your friend got his dimensions for the inner float struts that aren't included in this conversion set that I have to make myself, just in 1/72. I will say this beast in 1/32 scale would be huge.

Brady

It is huge. I like 'em that way.

Stephen

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I'm back with some progress on the C-47 on floats. I have fared over actually all three wheel wells now but I forgot to take a picture with the tail wheel done. I've also been filling in the seams between the two halves of the fuselage with your standard green putty. Here's what she looks like now other than the progress of the tail wheel being fared over too.

Vc47RbA.jpg

fgj4tXd.jpg

If you're interested in how I faired over the wheel wells, I cut the side out of a section of plastic tubing and started shaping and cutting until I was satisfied with the look. I will still fill in some gaps with glue or putty or maybe both around my fairings to make the complete.

That's all for now.

Cheers,

Brady

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

I didn't realize I'd set this build aside for so long. I do have more pictures to share of some more progress if I can find a stupid hosting website that will stop changing their ways and how they allow us to store photos. I'm not having any luck with Imgur now and Photobucket cut us off a long time ago. Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Brady