SAAB J-29F/B from Fly model

Guest Martinnfb

I have some issues with that "afterburner". I don't want to sound negative but there is something wrong here. 

The exhaust and afterburner of the J 29F does not look anything like that. The non-afterburning engine of the earlier versions on the other hand... 

I visited a friend of mine yesterday. He happens to own a RM2 (DH Ghost) engine of that earlier version. 

Here are some pics: 

VUqGKIj.jpg?2

6n9jgAY.jpg?1

fGP2YhO.jpg?1

jjdb9jl.jpg?1

KN3oMaq.jpg?1

This does look like the parts from the Resin2Detail, doesn't it? 

Does this mean that he actually did a non-afterburner engine exhaust but with the larger dimensions of the J 29F engine? 

Here are some pics of the afterburner of the J 29F for comparison. 

From the manual... 

YHPXlLv.jpg?1

bYXUJb8.jpg?1

And a pic of a preserved J 29F. 

3xahQTU.jpg?1

And finally some from when I scanned my J 29F at the museum. I'll be using these to 3d-print a 1/32 version... 

HaJ46Rb.jpg?1

FtgisYO.jpg?1

jAWMyI3.jpg?1

eON9qk9.jpg?1

Andreas 

Oh... By the way! I've been playing around with some other files.

It sure is wonderful when you have access to all this new technology! :) 

272Pf6K.jpg?1

I did a few testprints with the seat. 

I'm not quite there yet... 

Hopefully it will be ok after some fine tuning. 

What do you think? 

93oYeHR.jpg?1

Andreas

Hi everyone!

Brian here from Resin2detail.  I wanted first to thank everyone for the extremely informative thread on the J-29 and to also sincerely apologize for our inaccurate exhaust and afterburner design.  We take accuracy and quality very seriously -- these are central to our mission. 

The J-29 F afterburner is being re-worked and the customers who purchased from us initially are receiving replacement parts in about 2 weeks - no action is required on their part.

This misstep is a reminder how important community engagement is to the research phase of a project and will help us to improve even more moving forward.  It's dedicated modelers and aviation historians that make our hobby more enlightening, interesting and fulfilling!  Each project is a journey.

Thank you again for your support and understanding!

Brian

Hi everyone,

Brian again - so here is where the redesign stands at the moment ... Does anyone have access to close-up pictures of the burner nozzle at the end of the compression chamber? I know it's very different from the axial flow compressor on the DeHavilland Ghost.  Thanks for your help!  278369744_1941711452686264_6551574630883278378733_1941711442686265_7252321374965

6 hours ago, resin2detail said:

Hi everyone!

Brian here from Resin2detail.  I wanted first to thank everyone for the extremely informative thread on the J-29 and to also sincerely apologize for our inaccurate exhaust and afterburner design.  We take accuracy and quality very seriously -- these are central to our mission. 

The J-29 F afterburner is being re-worked and the customers who purchased from us initially are receiving replacement parts in about 2 weeks - no action is required on their part.

This misstep is a reminder how important community engagement is to the research phase of a project and will help us to improve even more moving forward.  It's dedicated modelers and aviation historians that make our hobby more enlightening, interesting and fulfilling!  Each project is a journey.

Thank you again for your support and understanding!

Brian

Judging by the photos you actually made a J-29 B exhaust? Do you want to sell it with the correct "B" label too?

Regards

- dutik