F-4E AUP belly strap or not

mark31

Mark,

According to Phantom Under The Skin Volume 2 by Eagle Aviation, reinforcement plates were on all F-4E's (not just HAF jets) up to s/n 71-0236. The Ex-Missouri ANG jets that went to the HAF were all in the 67-0000 and 68-0000 s/n range, so yes for them. Any tail numbers that I've seen of AUP F-4E's were like this:

01524 which would be s/n 72-01524

71750 which would be s/n 77-7150

Any 5 digit tail number that starts with a 0 put a 72- in front to get the s/n.

Any 5 digit tail number that starts with a 7 add a 7 and put a "-" after the second 7.

Edited by TBC

Mark,

According to Phantom Under The Skin Volume 2 by Eagle Aviation, reinforcement plates were on all F-4E's (not just HAF jets) up to s/n 71-0236. The Ex-Missouri ANG jets that went to the HAF were all in the 67-0000 and 68-0000 s/n range, so yes for them. Any tail numbers that I've seen of AUP F-4E's were like this:

01524 which would be s/n 72-01524

71750 which would be s/n 77-7150

Any 5 digit tail number that starts with a 0 put a 72- in front to get the s/n.

Any 5 digit tail number that starts with a 7 add a 7 and put a "-" after the second 7.

Correct! 

It's also worth noting in the interests of total accuracy, that the internal reinforcement in place of the belly strap results in thicker skin panels on the underside, causing a noticeable step where the depth increases.

Although I've not seen a definitive underside photo with the right angle and lighting to determine just how noticeable that step is.