Is Hobbycraft Sea Fury a good accurate kit? Thanks

oyoy5

Negativity creeping in again.

Indeed, it is not a perfect kit but can be made into something looking like a Sea Fury if you don't want to spent a lot of money on a resin kit.

Here's mine, using the Fisher propeller and a Typhoon canopy and some scratchbuilt details:

DSCF1367.jpg

DSCF1366.jpg

Edited by Cees Broere

Sigh... *again*???  Pointing out a kit's errors in a kit is not "negativity".  It's a fact.  A fact stands on its own merits. 

I kind of have to agree with this. Its not negativity to answer the OPs question.   It was answered, and TBH, I dont see any negativity in the previous posts prior, just the answers to a question that was posed. Included were some reasons why, but i would consider that FAR from negative. 

Yes the kit is bad IMHO, but bad is again subjective.     I dont think bringing personal opinion in is bad, but harping on the kit without merit can be negative, but these are generally just facts. 

Along with the wing, HC also incorporated a part of the canopy into the side of the fuse IIRC, so it would be hard to even pose the canopy open.    As is pointed out above, it CAN be made into a nice model, but that has effort involved other than just OOB, and generally I think modelers across the board with experience with this kit consider it sub par at best for the varying reasons above. 

I dont know about anyone else, but I WANT people to tell me any possibly crappy things with a kit!  I dont have the time or money for kits that dont fit well (other than a subject I am SUPER passionate about) and when people post facts about a kit that are crappy, I personally want to know those types of things, so I can arm myself with ammo to make a well thought out decision on whether or not to purchase said kit. 

Edited by Out2gtcha

If you go searching for Peter's (Airscale) build of the kit here on LSP (do not use the site's search feature but Google instead), you will see it CAN be built in a great replica :)

BUT:

It took Peter some time to achieve this result

The mods were significant ( for a Frenchman, I am good at using British-style understatements, am I not ;) ? )

Not everyone is Peter

Hubert

I really appreciate the time and effort it took several of the members here to post lists of kit issues and proposed fixes to said issues. This lets me weigh in the facts as to whether I want to invest the effort to correct something, let it go and just build it, or save myself a lot of fighting with a kit that will just not make me happy, regardless of the effort I make to put it together.

On the other hand, sometimes I can let it go and build it with all the places where it deviates from photos or plans of the real thing, just because I like the way it looks. I will go ahead and work on that Hobbycraft 1/72 DHC Dash 8, even if it is a "horrible kit and unbuildable" according to some reviewers, just because my son wants one that looks kind of like the one he used to fly in a lot.

And then there are the "What if?" sort of kits. As Marjoe Gortner said as a preacher in a totally forgettable movie, in response to the complaint "There ain't no Matthew 31", he replied "Well, there oughta' be".  Sometimes there just oughta' be a plane that looks the way I want it to look, even if I can't find a photo to prove it. (Why can I recall movie lines, but not people's names or birthdays?)

And to reiterate, if you want an excellent Sea Fury, buy a Fisher kit.

Tnarg

I don't think it was a case of negativity creeping in, just honesty. The question was simple. Was the Hobbycraft 1/32 Sea Fury a "good accurate kit"? The simple answer is no.

Can a dedicated modeller make an effort to create a good looking model, like the one Cees built? Yes, with a lot of work and improvements. The biggest barrier for me was the upside down airfoil...wings flat on top and curved underneath. Just couldn't get past that. There were problems around the nose ahead of the windscreen too.

But as a kit itself? Nope, not accurate. Good? Well, the parts fit together really well.

The Fisher kit is splendid. I also thought Special Hobby was planning on releasing one, not sure when.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka