Italeri Mirage IIIO, FLT LT Sean Trestrail, FCI course 18 RAAF 1982

ericg

Here are some photos of my completed Mirage. Quite a lot of work went into this one, some of it required to fix up the basic kit, but alot of it due to Sean's Insistence that I armed this model with the ordnance that he flew with on his Fighter Combat Instructors course graduation flight. For those attending this long weekends Australian Model Expo in Melbourne, Sean will be attending on the Monday of the show. Be sure to come up and say g'day.

Modifications:

Extended length of rudder

Modified exhaust petals

Enlarged external canopy framing

internal canopy framing

Expanded large fuel tank diameter by approx. 2 mm

Modified Master pitot tube

Reduced length of intakes at the front by approx 2mm

Scratchbuilt components:

Instrument panel
Rudder actuator fairing
RPK-10 fuel tank/bomb carriers
Centre pylon
Brake chute fairing and cover
Scratchbuilt
Canopy breaker knife
Probe bottom of fuselage
Ejection seat.
Hydraulic pull handles and doors bottom of fuselage
Landing lights
Wiring added to undercarriage

Instrument panel

Side consoles

Aftermarket used:

Airscale intruments

Eduard Brassin MK-82's

HPM models decals (although only the tigers head is really visible)

Finish:

Gunze Sangyo and Tamiya acrylic

90% of markings and stencils sprayed through self made masks.

17_zpsxwv1yzvh.jpg

1_zpsx0pn93vi.jpg

2_zps3oczwdix.jpg

3_zpskulsc5ff.jpg

4_zpszr1imtyd.jpg

5_zpszu6g5yze.jpg

6_zpsk8t4r16l.jpg

Detail Photos:

7_zpsedkt9984.jpg

8_zpsuppaewjl.jpg

9_zpsaeipbk6x.jpg

Edited by ericg

Guest Airfixer

Your WIP was a treat to follow...and even more so is your finished Mirage a treat to marvel at!

You did a mighty fine job. :bow:

Cheers

Erik

hi 

a master piece for sure !!!! I learnt things through this WIP ..... thanks a lot sir .... 

if you allow , one ( last) thing that could be fixed (almost nothing). ( I recently noticed because I am in) is the main gear legs : Italieri has represented the legs "extended " , just compare with a picture of real thing , the " scissors" are too widely opened on the kit ,the oleo is too long ( almost nothing)..... maybe for your ( our ) next build 

Alain

Thanks alot guys.

hi 

a master piece for sure !!!! I learnt things through this WIP ..... thanks a lot sir .... 

if you allow , one ( last) thing that could be fixed (almost nothing). ( I recently noticed because I am in) is the main gear legs : Italieri has represented the legs "extended " , just compare with a picture of real thing , the " scissors" are too widely opened on the kit ,the oleo is too long ( almost nothing)..... maybe for your ( our ) next build 

Alain

Alain, I did notice this as well and I was going to fix it but was fast running out of time. Just a mm or so would be all that was needed to be removed from its overall length. This model is way too heavy for its undercarriage due to the amount of resin I have hanging off its wings so it may need new undercarriage sometime in the future and I may address the length then.

Thanks for your input.

Eric.

Edited by ericg

Looks awesome Eric.  No idea how you find so much time to model when you have a young fella ... but the results are brilliant.  Not to mention your field day with all the old knuckleheads ... colour me jealous.

Cheers
Jim