Gazzas

Klinkity-Klank. Finished a Tank 23/07/17

Hi Everyone,

Finally calling this puppy done.  I really experimented a lot with filters and pastels to add dust, rust, and other weathering effects.  I don't particularly believe that tankers let their tanks get rusty.  But with these Schurzen, I saw an opportunity to rust something other than the muffler and exhaust.  I believe that schurzen would be of soft, inferior steel which by nature of the design would cause the lower schurzen to have a lot of metal on metal movement thereby eroding paint and allowing for rust to form.

I did try to depict a dusty vehicle during a combat phase and not during the longer, and more regular non-combat phase.  So, the tools, chassis, and all horizontal and vertical got a heavy and light dust treatment respectively.

The second to final method was dry brushing with white enamel.  I saw a guy use a broad brush for this on U-tube, so I thought I would attempt the same.  Unfortunately, in some areas there it came out too heavy handed.  I'll go back to using a smaller brush.

Finally a dull coat.  This changed the look of a lot of areas.  I really can't explain it.  The dull coat I used was an Alclad lacquer product.  I had noticed earlier in the build when sealing with Future that the look of the heavily pasteled areas did change where I had applied the pastels wet.

So... I dunno.  I would love to hear any input you guys have to share so that I can someday nail armor weathering.

On to the pictures:

102907.jpg

102930.jpg

102955.jpg

103012.jpg

103028.jpg

103043.jpg

Some Close-ups:

103108.jpg

103127.jpg

103138.jpg

I noticed there was some dappled light hitting the top of my BBQ, so I took a few shots there:

103204.jpg

103211.jpg

103220.jpg

You probably noticed that the aerial looks pretty battered.  It's .02mm copper wire, and I'd used the drill method to make it perfectly straight before I glued it into place.  Unfortunately, I bent it about 20 times during the weathering process and I didn't feel like ripping it out since it had withstood my best efforts to ruin it.

Thanks you for looking!

Gaz

Not able to see your images at the moment  :crying:(but all the other here in the thread).

Will come back later and try it again :shrug:

Regards

- dutik

Mister................I would be way happy with that outcome if it were my build. Outstanding job on the paint, weathering and details of this beauty. Totally awesome work bud. 

Well, now I see them. Internet is an odd thing...

Looks good :speak_cool:

About clear varnishes: Yepp, most of these ones tend to darken the color. Just consider this next time and go with lighter colors and tones before varnishing the model.

Well, I add antennas and other fine stuff after all the weatherng process. I also use spring steel wire, that is more resistant to accidental bending.

OK, whats next to come? :thumbsup:

Regards

- dutik

Guest Peterpools

Gary

Well done .. super work on the weathering and build and it's great to see a nicely weathered piece of armor that isn't beat to death

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

Peter,

Thank you very much for your kindness. This was a big jump in weathering for me, and I was very much aware of overdoing it. There seems to be a growing trend in armor builds modeling destroyed vehicles. Not my thing for sure, as I would always prefer to show operational and well respected gear.

Gaz

There is certainly room for improvements, but it is hard to say what that would be. I mean; how many quality color wartime photos of panzers do we have? What I 'think'is realistic, and which I like, is that you can still see the camo under the weathering. It is so often a race to the bottom in that area. Less is more and has always been, but people forget.

Next time try add crew figures. Paint them first. I think it would help you get a feel for the weathering using them as help.

Guest Peterpools

Gary

Right with you

Peter

Gary,

Congrats on finishing your 1st armored piece.  Anyone who doesn't know that this is your 1st Armor build, would just assume that it's done by a more experienced builder. It came out that good.  I've got 10  pcs of American Armor in display cases, and yours is easily the equal to any of them. 

Your overall weathering isn't over done as so many armor modelers fancy these days. As Pete has often said, if it's a display piece, they should go easy on the weathering as there is a point where it starts to detract from the finished build, but in a diorama, the weathering is dictated by the subject. Your weathering really fits perfectly into our preference for a display presentation piece. It's not heavy handed, yet one easily gets the sense of it depicting an operational tank. 

I'm also pretty sure that you set a new standard in outdoor model photography when you used your grill as a flat black stand. Nicely done. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Fantastic work, Gaz. If you didn't tell this is your first armour, I wouldn't believe it. Beautiful painting, weathering and finishing. Cheers :piliot:  

Edited by Maurice