Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jennings Heilig

Dogs. I love 'em, but honestly...

Recommended Posts

So y'all will recall that we adopted Trooper the three-legged wonder dog at the end of March.  Being a street dog, he is a food grubber.  Doesn't matter how hard it is to get at it, he finds a way.  I had a big tall bag of blue corn tortilla chips stashed waaaaay back at the back of the counter sort of tucked in behind the edge of the microwave.  I went out to Safeway, and was gone about 30 minutes.  Got home and no Trooper at the door (dancing as he usually does).  Called and whistled, no Trooper.  Searched the house, no Trooper.  Go out front, no Trooper.  Go out back, no Trooper.  Go around the end of the garage where I have some citrus trees, and he's lying underneath one of them not moving.  I ran over, and he had the tortilla chip bag completely over his food head, right up to his shoulder.  I yanked it off and he was completely non-responsive.  His tongue, gums, and scleras were as blue as I've ever seen a living being's.  I didn't bother to check a pulse, I just started giving him mouth to nose rescue breaths.  It took about 25 or so before he started breathing again.  He was obviously very disoriented, so I picked him up and carried him in the house (it was 103F yesterday).  He was breathing, but seemed out of it, so I carried him out to the truck and took him to the emergency vet clinic (fortunately only about a mile and a half from the house).  By the time we got there he was able to walk.  They gave him oxygen and did an ECG to make sure he was okay.  Everything checked out, and aside from being worn out, seemed none the worse for the wear.  Today he's fine.  Just have to make sure ALL foodstuff is well secured with this thief in the house.  You don't think something as innocuous as a chip bag can be deadly, but it can.  If I'd been another five (or three) minutes, he'd have died for sure.  And having only one front leg, he wasn't able to pull the bag off.  Always be alert to hazards to our fur bearing friends!

 

Sweet as he is, he wasn't blessed with an overabundance of brain cells to start with, and I hope he didn't lose very many with this episode.  I don't know how he managed not to...

Edited by Jennings Heilig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Martinnfb

Wow, he received better medical care that I usually do in this developing province. I my house there is one surviving dog rule: " this is my food and if you touch it you're dead meat". Plastic bag was a good learning experience. ......... poor puppy :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, he received better medical care that I usually do in this developing province. I my house there is one surviving dog rule: " this is my food and if you touch it you're dead meat". Plastic bag was a good learning experience. ......... poor puppy :)

Take care with that assumption. Those will be the brain cells that could be lost.

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Martinnfb

Take care with that assumption. Those will be the brain cells that could be lost.

 

Rick

 

Rick, It wasn't just assumption. If I leave a piece of meat on the table, or the kitchen counter,  it will stay there. ( However the ground/floor is a free for all zone.) And this didn't just happened over night, my dog is trained, we went together over it endlessly again and again. The patience paid off at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest The Southern Bandit

Close one! Glad you saved him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a lot of people would put their mouth on a dog's wet nose. Glad you were able to save him, I guess you better hide the food stash like you have a 3 year old at home.

 

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We lost one of my mom's dobermans years ago to a stupid eating incident. The dog used to gnaw on all kinds of crap, and we we're having trouble breaking her of the habit - unfortunately for the dumb dog. I came home from the store one afternoon to find her dead in the back yard. She had strangled on a short piece of chain link fence she had apparently found in the grass and swallowed. Why would she want to eat that?

 

Glad you found your idiot in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd be surprised what you'd do for a furry canine family member. They aren't a "pet" after awhile. I've had several dogs that I swear can read my thoughts and communicate with their eyes.

 

On the other hand, I've had an Irish Setter that was as dumb as a box of rocks. Just clueless in every way. Loving beyond belief, but in a mentally challenged sort of way.

That dog never figured out that horses kick when provoked, despite several close calls. He continued screwing with the neighbor's Quarter Horse, and one day, that mare was done with being agitated by the red moron. One kick to the head extinguished the three or four brain cells in that skull.

One of my dogs is a bit n the stupid side.

 

He can go out the dog flap, but for the life of him he hasn't worked out it's the way back in as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...