Planet Models XF5U Flying Pancake

Just found the JB Kwik online, exactly where I expected to. Sadly, it's nearly three times the price of the standard product! Still, as long as it works as well as the original, it's probably worth it for the faster curing times. And with a number of resin kit builds in my future, I'll probably be able to make good use of it.

Kev

Just found the JB Kwik online, exactly where I expected to. Sadly, it's nearly three times the price of the standard product! Still, as long as it works as well as the original, it's probably worth it for the faster curing times. And with a number of resin kit builds in my future, I'll probably be able to make good use of it.

Kev

Ouch! Three times as much! Oddly enough, when I bought it it was the only kind of JB Weld u could find in the store. I've got some resin kits in the stash too so it's good to know it works.

We'll, I picked up my boys from school and promptly left them to fend for themselves once we got home so I could get some bench time in. :P

It worked!

1) They didn't burn the house down not having adult supervision :thumbsup:

and

2) I have managed to finish this with about 6 hours left to the end of the GB.

I glued on the gear bay doors. This was a bit precarious as the attachment points are small.

20171130_171803-L.jpg

Once they were dry(ish?), I stood the model nose up and attached the two prop assemblies.

20171130_175120-L.jpg

And here we are:

20171130_175318-L.jpg

20171130_175258-L.jpg

I'll try to shoot the RFI pics tonight.

But I'm glad to have finally finished my first resin plane kit. It's not 100% perfect but I am happy with how it turned out. Hopefully I can improve my skills on the next resin plane kit I build.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Ouch! Three times as much! Oddly enough, when I bought it it was the only kind of JB Weld u could find in the store. I've got some resin kits in the stash too so it's good to know it works.

Ah, it looks like I was looking at the large, industrial-sized pack. I've since found one that seems to be the same size as the standard one I already have, and for about the same price. There's no stopping me now!

Kev

Ah, it looks like I was looking at the large, industrial-sized pack. I've since found one that seems to be the same size as the standard one I already have, and for about the same price. There's no stopping me now!

Kev

That makes sense now. The ones in the link above look like the size I have.

Here are a couple unedited pics of the completed plane. You might notice there's a rudder missing. I knocked it off and can't seem to find it. Grrrr....

Hopefully it'll turn up soon and I can reattach it.

20171130_214851_HDR-L.jpg

20171130_215014_HDR-L.jpg

20171130_214912_HDR-L.jpg

I'll try and get some up tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone to followed along on this. Now back to my F-4E in the USAF GB.

Carl