Planet Models XF5U Flying Pancake

I had a bunch of different subjects that I could pick from to join this GB with. I have a Tamiya F-15E I started 20 years ago that currently seems to be a table...

20170603_194123.jpg

Another choice was the F-4G I started right around when I joined LSP.

20170605_105213.jpg

In the end, I decided on my first resin 1/32 kit, the Planet Models XF5U.

20170605_161456_HDR.jpg

There are a couple great builds of this kit on here from Brian and Eric and I used them as a reference in what I've done so far.

I think I'm past the hard part of joining the fuselage halves together but left off there.

20170605_161513.jpg

20170605_161523.jpg

The plan is to arm it and add some nose art which I think LSP Kevin will enjoy.

Carl

The Sea Witch was a sub I thought. I would look for or make some "Alien Babe" decals. You know something different. Scan a a Science fiction book cover from the 1950s. Do the photoshop tricks on it and print the decals. Just a thought.

Rick

Rick, Carl's chosen decals are from a Babylon 5 Star Fury. Very apt!

Kev

Well, that's certainly the next best thing! Very cool indeed. Would look pretty awesome in Black Omega livery, too.

Kev

Hmm, hadn't thought of a Black Omega one. I can't remember what Ivanova had on her Star Fury but I know they had decals for Sinclair's and Sheridan's Star Furies as well.

The Sea Witch was a sub I thought. I would look for or make some "Alien Babe" decals. You know something different. Scan a a Science fiction book cover from the 1950s. Do the photoshop tricks on it and print the decals. Just a thought.

Rick

As Kev mentioned, Sea Witch was one of the Star Furies from Babylon 5. When Revell released the model, they apparently censored the nose art a bit. The one I have is an AM one.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

• 2 months later...

This got out on the back burner a bit thanks to our renos and figuring out a solution for the plain IP. Here's the kit one:

20170904_222943-L.jpg

On a whim, I tried a Yahu IP meant for the Tamiya F4U. With a trim of the edges and slight sanding of the top edge, it was a decent fit.

20170904_222954-L.jpg

20170904_223431-L.jpg

I need to add a gunsight next and the cockpit will be done.

Carl

• 1 month later...

Thanks Brian and John!

One of the stumbling blocks I had with regards to this build was how to accurately centre and install the prop spinners. I ended up filling the hollow fairings behind the spinners with epoxy putty and then marking the centre point as best I could.

20171012_195204-L.jpg

I can mount the spinners on brass rod which should make a reasonably strong attachment.

So a bit of progress here and hopefully more to come.

Carl

• 1 month later...

Ok, so a belated update on this build. I've been busy the last while trying to get our basement back in order after our renovations. Then I had to move the contents of my old hobby room at my parents' house into ours. Finally, I built a new workbench.

Last night was the first chance I got to really work on something so I dove in and filled the seams around the prop fairings, primered the model and then a colour coat of Gunze Navy Blue on the topsides.

And forgot to document any of the progress as I was just into getting something done.

So this is what it looks like at the moment :

20171113_155245-L.jpg

Next up is to paint the underside and go from there.

Carl