No TBD Devastator announcement!?

Bill M.

Here it is the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Midway and no announcement of a 1/32 TBD Devastator. I was hoping to hear of one coming from Kittyhawk or some manufacturer to coincide with the anniversary. For that matter a Val or a Kate would be nice too. All saw action at Midway and really need to be offered in 1/32 scale. Just saying...

In the meantime, let's pause a moment and reflect on all those, both American and Japanese, who fought so bravely and gave all, out in the middle of the vast Pacific 75 years ago.

Bill M.

I've given up on Trumpeter. I figure if they were going to release a Devastator, they would have done so already. Actually, I would rather see someone else do one other than Trumpeter. I just figure that if someone else does a TBD, it will be a better kit. Also, if Trumpeter were to release a TBD, that would be it for a TBD, however flawed the Trumpeter release would be. I figure we would have one shot at a 1/32 TBD-- I would rather it was done right by someone other than Trumpeter.

Bill M.

I've given up on Trumpeter. I figure if they were going to release a Devastator, they would have done so already. Actually, I would rather see someone else do one other than Trumpeter. I just figure that if someone else does a TBD, it will be a better kit. Also, if Trumpeter were to release a TBD, that would be it for a TBD, however flawed the Trumpeter release would be. I figure we would have one shot at a 1/32 TBD-- I would rather it was done right by someone other than Trumpeter.

Bill M.

Well, they DID do a good job on the Dauntless, ...didn't they, so........but that's a whole different story, you'd better forget Trumpeter releasing a Devastator.....

What, you haven't built the Trumpeter kit that was being released about five years ago?

Five? I thought it was more like 2007 when it was first announced. It's served its purpose well as a perpetual place holder.

I think an American company should invest in building American model planes, the way Airfix make most British subjects. I'd like Hasegawa to stick to Japanese as we still need a low back Hien and a new tool Hayabusa, and Trumpeter are making some very nice MiGs and ought to be doing Chinese planes like the Finback, Vigorous Dragon etc.

Tony

Interesting that Accurate Miniatures did really nice 1/48 SBDs and TBF/TBMs. Coincidence?

Yes, I've heard the same thing implied. Too bad that AM didn't do a 1/48 TBD-- we would probably have our 1/32 Devastator already!

Bill M.

Like I said, I would rather see someone else do a TBD. I don't want to encourage Trumpeter to keep it on their list of coming attractions. I figure they're not going to do it and keeping it on the their list only serves to discourage other manufacturers-- which may be their intent.

Bill M.

I've thought that Trumpeter engaged in plastic plagiarism ever since I bought their then-new MiG-15, which looked to be a pantographed Tamiya kit complete with a metal nose weight.

IIRC, the nose weight is one thing they didn't scale up. It was exactly the same size as the one in the 1/48 Tamiya kit!

That said, the Mig-15 was one of their very early kits and was a pretty egregious example of one of theirs seeming to be directly "related" to another kit. They seem to have moved away from that over time.

Like I said, I would rather see someone else do a TBD. I don't want to encourage Trumpeter to keep it on their list of coming attractions. I figure they're not going to do it and keeping it on the their list only serves to discourage other manufacturers-- which may be their intent.

Bill M.

Bill,

I highly doubt that any of the other major kit manufactures other then Kitty Hawk would even consider it.  Assuming that the A team who did their Dauntless did it, it would be an excellent kit. Now if the B team did it as they must have done the Hellcat, then we're in for a major disappointment.  But I rather have the Disappointment and try to correct what I can, then have nothing, which is where we have been for the last 10 years or so.

Joel