paul fisher

The Spad is out of the Bag....A-1E / AD-5 Skyraider conversion

Does anyone have any links to anywhere with diagrams as to exactly what armor was fitted to the two seaters?

Been looking and can only find arnor fitted to single seaters.

Plenty of photos with what looks like it but no diagrams particularly if any waa fitted to thectwo seater sidewalls or was it belly only which is different from the single seater.

There's a diagram here: http://www.alternatewars.com/SAC/AD-5_Skyraider_SAC_-_30_April_1956.pdf

Note that was a difference between the basic AD-5 (A-1E) and AD-5N (A-1G) internal armor as depicted on the SACs. I can't say how much of the internal armor provisions were incorporated on the actual airplanes. I have some pictures depicting the external armor but Blogger isn't letting me upload them from my computer to a post at present.

Nationals was fantastic and I managed to get a bunch of show specials and treasures for the stash - as for a 1/32 Trumpeter AD-4  -  not so much.  While there were amazing deals on Trumpeter aircraft there, which got even better on Saturday when most of the dealers dropped prices by 50% there was only one AD-4 at the entire show and the fellow was very proud of it to the tune of $139.  That high price and it wasn't even a new kit so you couldn't exactly tell if everything was there.  It should be noted that there were probably 100s of large Trumpeter planes of all models that were in the $50 range.  I went over to FreeTime Hobby and Brandan would take orders for one that would ship the next day for $81 plus $10 shipping, so I guess I will go that way.  Very disappointing for the one big kit that I was looking for, but like I said Nats was great.

Jerry

Would absolutely agree with Chuck - I have been dealing with Branden for several years and bought stuff from him at Nats this year - top notch quality and customer service.

On another note just happened to be trolling sites looking for an AD-4 and came on one on Amazon.  It said only one left and listed the price as $60.51 with free prime shipping - jumped on that real quick and it will deliver Wednesday - 

Jerry

Hi guys...Working towards having all the parts in production by mid September, decal art is just now being sorted out for the USAF ship, Major Fisher's bird is there, as well as three others in camo and the overall gray but I can't say when the decals will be ready to ship yet.

As for the cockpit(s), I am providing the modified Yankee seats for the A-1E as well as the fixed Douglas "thrones", and yes, there will be seats for the blue room.The Navy kits will have the correct cockpit for the particular version since they do differ a lot in how much electronics were stuffed in there.

So far, I cannot get this website to allow me to post pictures from Imgur, no doubt finger trouble at my end, it wouldn't be the first time!As soon as I can, I will post some glamour shots, although that might not be the correct term for this particular bird..

Happy Friday!

Paul

I second that little display of extreme frustration - was just down in the shop looking at the Eduard set, the Trumpeter plane, a couple reference books - you know, every single part needed except the conversion set - wow, glad I got that out of my system.  Guess I'll go back down to the shop now and work on my RF-8.

Jerry :innocent: