paul fisher

The Spad is out of the Bag....A-1E / AD-5 Skyraider conversion

5 hours ago, 88phantom said:

Any chance that the AD-5 can be combined on a combo with the Guppy? I like the idea of getting both with a little discount similar to the AD-5 and A-1E combos. :)

West

I don't see why not....But poor Susy is gonna kill us all...All the variants look alike to her and she gets flustered trying to keep them straight. Born a blonde!

I am a dead man.Oh, well. The kit is up on site now for pre-orders, thanks for your support!

P

Ordered my Guppy this morning ., at 3.30 am , one of the downsides of insomnia. ordering while half asleep- but I regret nothing!

Oh and Paul. Susy may get confused but she does a wonderful job all the same, never had a missing or damaged part , so she must be doing something right!

ColinR

I'll defiantly be ordering the Guppy in the next day or two, you got any idea of shipping dates? No big deal, just wondering. Also, since we're on a Skyraider trek, any chance of a AD-4W/AEW MK1? That might be a good seller for us USMC guys and the British Spad fans. Many thanks for all you're doing.

Chuck

I keep going back to page 21  just to keep looking at this wonderful kit.  Amazing detail and parts count for the money.  Looks like the two P-51's will sit a little longer on the shelf once this arrives. 

Posted (edited)

Building the Guppy....

Here's the first pass of the cockpit and radar room, I'm not real good at painting this sort of stuff, my hands shake too much! The basic colors are medium gray and matte black, I tried pre-shading all the gray stuff for the first time with black and then shot the gray from different angles to try and leave some shadow effects to add some depth. Rubbed away some of the paint to simulate wear .The overall effect is OK, I'm going to have to play around with the technique and stop being such a dinosaur.

Next up are the seats. After much head scratching I asked Brian Morris, who actually went to APS-20 radar school what color the scope screen should be when it was not powered up, he sent some pics , it's sort of a translucent red-orange so I removed the black paint from the lens with a cotton bud and some acetone and applied a drop of Testors stop light amber, it is surprisingly accurate. The scope for the right seater up front will get a rubber sunshade, so you won't see it, but the aft cabin one remains visible.

w pit .jpg

Edited by paul fisher

Found a set of AMS prop blades in my stash, however the Navy wheels are out of stock at SB. But they will appear soon I hope!

AD-5 landed today, thanks Paul! This'll give me something to work on while waiting for the guppy :)

Are you aware of any ordinance carried by the dayglo orange AD-5s? I found one photo with a fuel tank but no other stores, love to load it out a bit more if not inaccurate. 

Also, are there any recommendations on the best paints to use for the dayglo orange and fluoro red so that it doesn't end up looking like an irradiated cheeto?