Revell F-14

LSP_Mike

Good question, Erik - and I sadly don't know the answer. It seems that no official Grumman drawings are available on the net - these could be a reliable source, but as already mentioned before, even factory drawings which are available to the public aren't always 100% accurate! 

Willy Peeters' drawing in the DACO book look pretty good to me, but they certainly have some inaccuracies as well. I am relying mostly on photos in my attempt to get the proportions of the Revell kit right. 

Can the focal length shrink a curved surface Starfighter? I've simply zoomed the original pic to match the dimensions with the photo on the left

Edited by Luca

I hope you understand that focal length influences the way an object is distorted as does the perspective!

As the photo of the real aircraft was not taken perfectly from front, the LH side curved portion of the windscreen appears wider as you see it slightly from side - see what I mean?

Guest Airfixer

Thanks, Ben.

You were in a way forestalling my next question - Willy's drawings.

From my past experience with Willy Peeters' drawings from the good old Verlinden Lock On and the more recent DACO publications, I for one, I agree with you rating his drawings as pretty accurate. Not perfect, but accurate enough to use them as solid base to start from.

I'm not that familiar with the mighty Turkey...if it was a MiG-23 or MiG-29, things would be different. :innocent:

Grumman used to have an archive, run by a lady whose name I can't remember, and they used to field inquiries all the time. You could write in and ask, "What is the length and ratio of the flibjab anomutator Janobab on the F4F-3?" and, several weeks later, you'd get an answer in the mail. Those days are loooooooong gone, unfortunately.

Grumman used to have an archive, run by a lady whose name I can't remember, and they used to field inquiries all the time. You could write in and ask, "What is the length and ratio of the flibjab anomutator Janobab on the F4F-3?" and, several weeks later, you'd get an answer in the mail. Those days are loooooooong gone, unfortunately.

Lois Lovisolo. She was amazing when I was researching A-6, EA-6 and F-111B. Last I heard, maybe just after the turn of the century, she was curator/archivist of the files at the Grumman heritage center.

Tony

The Tomcat kept me busy during the weekend. I still wasn't happy with the nose shape and length after the first correction, so the saw came out again.

Here ist the nose before shortening. Upper and mostly the lower curvature are not correct and the aread between windscreen and radome is too long.

IMG_2335.jpg

Out comes the saw. I have removed around 2,5mm behind the radome.

IMG_2337.jpg

I angled the nose a tad more downwards when I glued it back into place.

IMG_2338.jpg

Some more sanding - we're getting closer, I think. The bottom of the radome has to be flattened a bit more just in front of the groove line.

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg