F-16A & F-16C Aggressor Double Build - The Double is Done!

Marcel111

The F110 is in!

nfMNSw.jpg

0jMupe.jpg

Even my wife approves of this scheme :-)

z7K4Z7.jpg

I have been doing some fine-tuning of the black sections. Black is really tricky to work with.

Li5ESn.jpg

q7dQCM.jpg

"Absolutely stunning. I love the colours you have chosen for the wash, it just looks perfect. Can't wait to see more!" Ben, that is my usual custom medium gray wash I use for almost all washing... I generally like that to not be too dark, in this case it really pronounced the surface detail on the black sections also.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

• 3 weeks later...

The legs are on! Phew, that's always a big milestone in my builds and things usually involve a major amount of swearing and superglue in the wrong places before I get it right. No different on this build, even if it's a Tamiya F-16.

This is how the back is looking, the little position lights toward the upper, rear fuselage turned out ok I think.

pFHZmH.jpg

I am usually not one to show off wheels wells a lot since I don't enjoy that part of a build. However, since I used the Aires wheel wells, which I believe are sized for the Academy kit (even the "for Tamiya" variant), I thought I'd give you guys a look. Using the Aires wheel wells results in a huge amount of extra work, the main wells are about 3mm too short so a significant shim is required. The main doors also need to be adjusted as a result.

7pZTme.jpg

NOuZCo.jpg

Overall look. The black sections really keep me on my toes, I am constantly touching up with black paint since yet another light speck has appeared here or there. Natural weathering :-)

akBHu0.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Thx guys! I was really surprised at how weathered this particular aircraft is since the paint job is relatively new.

Here is the Zacto Aim-9X training round. The resin is just incredible, it just doesn't get any better. So wish Chris would produce some Aim-120's.

hg2FB9.jpg

v3sV3N.jpg

sICWdq.jpg

And here are the completed Aim-120 dummies. These seem to have become standard wingtip equipment on the Aggressor F-16's.

Note the blunt nose (vs what would be a pointier nose for the live round). You can get these blunt-nosed bodies from the Tamiya F-15E kit. The wings are from Cutting edge and thus realistically thin with the correct diamond c/s. I painted the back end bright orange after seeing that on some of the dummies in Jake's book.

fNRTnO.jpg

n9RHPM.jpg

Note the "peeled off" paint revealing the yellowish primer on some of the pylon leading edges above.

And here a little WIP of the Elta EL/L-8212 pod that is often carried by the 18th Aggressor Squadron (but not by any other unit)... I have been busy scratch-building this.

ntq6B7.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Thanks guys!

Chuck sent me a PM wondering about my Aim-9X, since I chose to model the training round with fuse windows and open exhaust. I actually researched both of these points, as far as the exhaust is concerned there are plenty of pics out there showing training rounds with non-blunt rear ends, see e.g. here.

I could have sworn I found pics of raining rounds with fuse windows, I specifically remember a pic of a Superhornet with a trainer that had fuse windows. But since I wasn't able to find suitable evidence anymore and I am wondering if my memory is failing me, I doubled back and created a cover for that section of the missile, which together with the seeker cover seems to be standard when they are on the ground. Fortunately, Zacto provides a neat nose cover.

fambzP.jpg

NQgsqd.jpg

I am pretty satisfied with the result, it adds a bunch of color to the overall model, it's already hanging from the wing.

Cheers,

Marcel

I know our A-10's CATM 9's did not have the influence fuse windows on them. Just our load trainer AIM-9, in Load Barn, did and that was because you treat everything in Load Barn like a live munition. I have one of those influence fuse covers, with the streamer on it, in my model room.

The covers look really good on the missile Marcel, great work.

Steve